ULTIMATE CHAMELEON FEEDER why don't we try?

The genus Schistocerca makes great feeder insects for chameleons. I have stated that for years now. I have had reports and first hand experience with chameleons becoming spoiled with locusts as food. I have bred two species (Schistocerca shoshone (a green locust) and Schistocerca nitens) to CB 3rd generation. I have copyrighted care sheets for those interested or need motivation to start colonies of these two locusts species. I however have not had a colony of these going in a couple years though as a fire ravaged one of my best collecting spots. Once I replenish my brood stock I am planning to start my breeding colonies again.
Schistocerca nitens

That is awesome! I would love to have these care sheets! Can you use PM to send those?
How many young could you get from 1 female? What do you mean by "chameleons becoming spoiled with locusts as food"?

Oh I am so sorry about your colony loss Jeremy, I knew it was one of your pride and joys <3 here's hoping you find a new collecting spot or the original spot grows back soon.

Thanks. The wild colonies have on and off years. The populations should recover in the collecting spots I go too as I make a point not to over collect. However things of this nature take time to recover.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I actually charge for my care sheets. Mostly because of the amount of time I have put into making these insects feeders. The keepers who have gone ahead and got a package from me of these care sheets seem to be happy with them. PM me when you decide.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I’ve been really looking into this also but I’m having trouble figuring out if and what I’m allowed to have. I live in New Jersey I always see a bunch of grasshoppers in the summer here.. but is there any websites or something I can get more information??? If I can figure out if it’s legal to have and breed here I will definitely try to get something started. But I have read that they get parasites that cause them to drown themselves for the parasites survival I don’t know if that’s common? or dangerous to the reptiles

I’ve been really looking into this also but I’m having trouble figuring out if and what I’m allowed to have. I live in New Jersey I always see a bunch of grasshoppers in the summer here.. but is there any websites or something I can get more information??? If I can figure out if it’s legal to have and breed here I will definitely try to get something started. But I have read that they get parasites that cause them to drown themselves for the parasites survival I don’t know if that’s common? or dangerous to the reptiles

There is for the most part a species of Schistocerca in every state in the lower forty eight states. Shipping these species across state lines is stickily not allowed. I for a two year period had a go at obtaining permits to ship two species of Schistocerca to Texas and Florida and was denied. However I was granted permits to ship on the state level. I have two proven care sheets for two species of Schistocerca that are native to California. PM me when you need reading material to give you a proper start at breeding whatever species you have access too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Would you honestly say it’s worth the $10 even if the only species I have access to is S americana?

Just to have a year round supply of Schistocerca to feed to your reptiles is worth the price. I was selling Schistocerca males and females for $3.00 a piece and the one I had for sale did not last long. The care sheets are worth just under 4 Schistocerca adults. Plus these care sheets took forever (long before the Chameleon Forums) to research/figure, finalize and put together. To have two Schistocerca species care sheets should give you a best/more accurate idea of how to start a colony of Schistocerca americana.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom