ULTIMATE CHAMELEON FEEDER why don't we try?

Sezny

Hi everyone,

I am from Europe and would like to give you informations about locusts as a feeder.
First some picture. 2 species are commonly raised:
Subadult Schistorcerca gregaria (Pilgrim locust)
1833-locast-3.jpg

Adult Schistorcerca gregaria
desert-locust.jpg

Adult Locusts migratoria (Migratory locust)
migratory-locust-locusta-migratoria-18990673.jpg

Aren't they gorgeous?!!!!! I really think so.

They are very easy to find and purchase in Europe for good reasons:

- They are easy to breed: eat only fresh grass you gather or wheat you grow in pots (symbiotic bacterias in their guts cells produce all of the proteins they need from this poor quality food)
- They don't smell
- They don't survive in a house
- They have a very good nutritional balance, better than crickets
- They grow from a quater of a inch to 3 inches, allowing you to feed different size of Chams
- They don't hide, they will climb in your chameleon cage to find the light, straight in the predator mouth
- They reproduce super fast, you can easily get 200 from 3 females and 2 males (my own experience when I was in Europe)
- And the most important: CHAMELEONS LOVE THEM. It is from far their favorite prey, even the shyest Cham will eat it in hand after a couple of try

You probably have a question now: why does everyone not raise them in the USA? Unfortunately, it is illegal to breed them here. The reason is that they swarm. They are the plague God send on the Egyptians in the Bible and still devastate Africa from time to time.They have an amazing biological cycle that I explain at the end of this article if you are curious about it. It is sad because they die below 30 degrees and don't reproduce below 70, so it will be absolutely harmless to raise them in the northern states but I absolutely understand they don't want to take the chance as they might make trouble in the south.

Now you have an other question: why does this damn French guy is so enthusiastic about it if we can't have it? Because after doing some research, I found a native specie of locust in the USA: Schistorcerca americana, the "American bird grasshopper"
GLBZXLAZ0L2ZHLCHHL2ZHL1HKLVZ8LPZKL8ZZLBH6H3HML5ZGHDHQLEZ5HCHHLDHHL2ZGH2ZRL4ZMH.jpg

Like his friends from the old world, he swarms (it is important to raise a locust who swarms. the high concentration of insects in the enclosure stimulates the reproduction of the swarming species when the other species will not mate)

I assume it is legal to breed that specie as it is already living here anyway.

Here is a map of where you can find it:
7596.png

Does anyone breed these fantastic creatures? I am very excited about it, it would make an amazing source of food for our chams!

Now, a quick presentation of the amazing life cycle of an African specie, Locusts migratoria:

Swarming locust are most of the time peaceful vegetarians insects, that reproduce a bit and eat small amounts of grass. Predators and the lack of food in dry places kill a lots of them. They have a slow growth rate: they go from hatching to adults in 6 molts and look like that:
4800f6_3902eecf87be49a6a1b73df56b703f4d.jpg_srz_1962_1472_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpeg

But after a rain, plants grow fast in the desert, females get well fed and lay a lots of eggs in the ground. That produces a lots of baby locust. The eggs tend to hatch at the same time: they produce pheromones in the ground. If they are far away from each other, nothing happen. But if a group of eggs can receive the pheromones from an other group, their development get synchronized and they will hatch at the same time.

If the population reach a certain concentration, everything changes: by seeing other individuals, some hormone are produce in baby locusts bodies and they switch from solitary phase to gregarious phase: they become adults in only 5 molts, look like on the pictures I posted at the beginning of this article and are attracted by each other. They will walk and later fly together to create the infamous swarms of millions of insects.

Then, after having eating all of the food available, they will die and the population crashes. The new babies, not stimulated by other locusts, will switch back to solitary phase and be the peaceful green grasshopper on the picture above.

Scientist think that swarming allows the species of locust to take advantage of seasonal abundance of food to spread and colonise new habitats.

That's all folks, I hope you will get interested about it and will love to know if it is allowed or not to raise this native specie.

I don't raise grasshoppers here (North Carolina) but during the spring and summer months I collect dozens from my in-laws' organic garden in the middle of Tennessee mountain country.
I can say without a doubt they are my panther's favorite feeder and he will snipe every one I release into his enclosure. I'm looking forward to this year's harvest lol.

Do you think it could be the specie I am talking about? If yes, would be great to try to breed it!

Ok interesting! I am in Raleigh so I should be able to find some. I will explore for it this summer. If I can get some and breed them, I will not need to buy crickets anymore!

I don't raise grasshoppers here (North Carolina) but during the spring and summer months I collect dozens from my in-laws' organic garden in the middle of Tennessee mountain country.
I can say without a doubt they are my panther's favorite feeder and he will snipe every one I release into his enclosure. I'm looking forward to this year's harvest lol.
Have you found some in NC?

In california we have grasshoppers that aren't as likely to swarm as the most prevelant species where I live specifically, so I have had to be very specific with how I raise them. My local species require a diapause and specific foods they prefer.

In california we have grasshoppers that aren't as likely to swarm as the most prevelant species where I live specifically, so I have had to be very specific with how I raise them. My local species require a diapause and specific foods they prefer.
Yes non swarming species are very hard to raise... It is not worth it I think. Have you tried?

I have and had successes into a second generation but not had a good success continuing it because I allowed it too get to cold. It's actually easy once I get the routine down. But I deal with a lot of "harder" to raise insects by most people's standards. I just find the challenge entertaining. Most people don't want to go out and catch their food to try to raise things after iding them. It's also an issue not being able to sell easily. Plus locusts can't be the only staple feeder you have because you can't gutload them in my opinion well. I would feed at least another roach species or cricket with the locust species. Plus the other 3-4 feeders like supers, silks, horns, sticks etc etc.

Yes I love to raise insects too! They are amazing. I used to raise African June bugs like these guys:
Mecynorrhina_ugandensis_59.jpg

Very nice to breed but kind of frustrating: larvae for 1 year and then Wonderfull adult for 2 month... which hide most of the time :-D

I am going to start working with stag beetles soon, etc. But depending on how often you want to use the feeder you don't need swarming. I have currently 4 roach colonies 2 of which I am feeding and from, and 2 I will feed from soon. But I have six other species I raise and then also two I buy. So I don't worry too much about having a low producing colony.

I ID them and go from there. Most swarming species eat anything you set in front of them if it's vegetation. The non swarming are a bit more specialized.

True, swarming locust eat almost everything but make it better on some species of grass. The grass needs to have a typical "grass smell", avoid any onion-type or aromatic herb type of smell. Locust don't care about fancy cuisine :)

Non swarming will eat chia sprouts, clover sprouts, growing wheat grass, and several other things but it has to be growing.

The genus Schistocerca makes great feeder insects for chameleons. I have stated that for years now. I have had reports and first hand experience with chameleons becoming spoiled with locusts as food. I have bred two species (Schistocerca shoshone (a green locust) and Schistocerca nitens) to CB 3rd generation. I have copyrighted care sheets for those interested or need motivation to start colonies of these two locusts species. I however have not had a colony of these going in a couple years though as a fire ravaged one of my best collecting spots. Once I replenish my brood stock I am planning to start my breeding colonies again.
Schistocerca nitens

DsNfUd.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Oh I am so sorry about your colony loss Jeremy, I knew it was one of your pride and joys <3 here's hoping you find a new collecting spot or the original spot grows back soon.

Back
Top Bottom