Ultimate Beginner thread

Tinarex

Hello. I need some advice. I have kept reptile in the past and now. I have tree frogs, salamanders, crested and leopard geckos. Mantids, and stick insects. Also a bunch of different roach colonies. All the set ups are bio active. I am thinking about adding a chameleon to the bunch. My room sits at 60% humidity and is about 75 degrees. I was wondering if there are any chameleons that can do well in the temperature range. I know the will need uv and a basking light as well. The enclosure I have in mind is a 4 feet wide 6 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I was wondering if this could House a pair of carpet chameleons? Do you have any tips or suggestions?

In that space I'd build 2 seperate enclosures so they can't see eachother.
Housing chameleons together generaly is a bad idea as they are solitary animals that stress easily. Even in a larger cage there will be a good chance that they will compete over the same space and they will stress eachother out.

Hello. I need some advice. I have kept reptile in the past and now. I have tree frogs, salamanders, crested and leopard geckos. Mantids, and stick insects. Also a bunch of different roach colonies. All the set ups are bio active. I am thinking about adding a chameleon to the bunch. My room sits at 60% humidity and is about 75 degrees. I was wondering if there are any chameleons that can do well in the temperature range. I know the will need uv and a basking light as well. The enclosure I have in mind is a 4 feet wide 6 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I was wondering if this could House a pair of carpet chameleons? Do you have any tips or suggestions?
A suggestion: You could still build a cage frame that size, but turn it so the 6 foot dimension is horizontal, and divide it in half with a visual barrier (could be made out of plastic sheeting, coroplast, waterproof fabric, wood, something moisture proof that the chams can't see through. Attach the material around the edges to the frame or the mesh). House one cham in each side. You'd end up with 2 4' X 4' X 3' enclosures, but could arrange the drainage, lighting and misting so they are shared between the two sides.

Thank you. Do you have any other species that could do well in an enclosure that size? Price is not an issue

There are a lot of species that would fit that size. Look up different chameleon species and do your research on which you like the best. The only ones that would outgrow that enclosure would be mellers and Parsons.

I would suggest Veileds.

Why? Why would anyone suggest a veiled chameleon?

There are so many chameleon species that are interesting to look at without all the health problems associated with the poor nutrition and woefully inadequate husbandry that mass produced veileds receive. There is a reason veileds develop MBD. Many captive bred ones show evidence of stunting--just look at their faces and casques. They are not the faces and casques of a veiled in the wild.

Let's not forget how difficult most adult male veileds are to deal with. Be honest, they can be incredibly difficult to handle.

I find it disheartening that the chameleon community sees only two species of chameleons.

There a a kajillion species that would work in this person's environment without the need to change a lot such as the addition of heat. The species I breed are examples that would do very well, my species for example. I think they are incredibly hardy and easy to deal with--easy enough for a rank novice.

There are more chameleon species out there than just veileds and panthers and MANY species that are quite easy to keep. @Tinarex

There are so many chameleon species that are interesting to look at without all the health problems associated with the poor nutrition and woefully inadequate husbandry that mass produced veileds receive. There is a reason veileds develop MBD. Many captive bred ones show evidence of stunting--just look at their faces and casques. They are not the faces and casques of a veiled in the wild.

Let's not forget how difficult most adult male veileds are to deal with. Be honest, they can be incredibly difficult to handle.

I find it disheartening that the chameleon community sees only two species of chameleons.

There a a kajillion species that would work in this person's environment without the need to change a lot such as the addition of heat. The species I breed are examples that would do very well, my species for example. I think they are incredibly hardy and easy to deal with--easy enough for a rank novice.

There are more chameleon species out there than just veileds and panthers and MANY species that are quite easy to keep. @Tinarex
Thank you so much! Do you have any information on the chameleon? Also would they do good in a bioactive environment?

@jajeanpierre this is why I somewhat regret getting 4 Panthers in the beginning. I love my Panthers and would like to have at least one, but if I would do it over again I would have looked into more uncommon species. Montanes are quickly becoming my favorites. As a beginner I thought my only options were veiled, panther, and maybe Jackson. This is not the case at all though.

While I do understand the reccomendation for a veiled as the 'novice chameleon' I also think the difficulty of some/most species may still exist from 'ancient times' when care wasn't that well described, most animals were wild caught and technique wasn't as evolved as it's now...
Kinda like salt water aquariums used to be for the experts and have become way more accessible to a novice.

Maybe we should review which species are considered 'suitable' for a novice, it would enrich the community.

While I do understand the reccomendation for a veiled as the 'novice chameleon' I also think the difficulty of some/most species may still exist from 'ancient times' when care wasn't that well described, most animals were wild caught and technique wasn't as evolved as it's now...
Kinda like salt water aquariums used to be for the experts and have become way more accessible to a novice.

Maybe we should review which species are considered 'suitable' for a novice, it would enrich the community.

It would do more than enrich the community because it would allow people like me to continue to breed. I have cut waaaaaay back on breeding with the intention of completely stopping breeding and letting my stock age out. The only breeding I am doing is with males that have never reproduced yet. Philosophically I believe that all wild caughts of rare species should have the opportunity to reproduced to cut down on the wild caught trade. When I stop producing graciliors, they will likely be gone. There might be a few breeders out there who have pairs of graciliors from me, but the genetics will be limited.

Once I stop, graciliors will be gone. Quads may last a little longer but their genetics are really limited although spread among more breeders.

It would do more than enrich the community because it would allow people like me to continue to breed. I have cut waaaaaay back on breeding with the intention of completely stopping breeding and letting my stock age out. The only breeding I am doing is with males that have never reproduced yet. Philosophically I believe that all wild caughts of rare species should have the opportunity to reproduced to cut down on the wild caught trade. When I stop producing graciliors, they will likely be gone. There might be a few breeders out there who have pairs from me, but the genetics will be limited.

Once I stop, they will be gone.
I agree on your vision, maybe it would help to have a good caresheet on your animals added to this site, it can also help people to get started with graciliors.

I'd get one but there's to much water between us.

Thank you so much! Do you have any information on the chameleon? Also would they do good in a bioactive environment?

Which chameleon are you interested in? The species I breed?

I breed Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis and the sub species Trioceros quadricornis gracilior. They are from the mountains of Cameroon. Both species are not too active, not too big and really interesting with all their dragon bling--large gular crests, dorsal crests, sail fins (males) and horns (males). The graciliors have the added benefit of bright colors (both sexes) and red claws (males and females).

Both take the same kind of care--"low" temps and lots of water. I do not have basking bulbs on any of my quads or graciliors. They are pretty flexible and will do well in a lot of temps as long as they don't get above 80F for long. They are not forgiving about the amount of water they get, so drainage is something that needs to be planned for and not an afterthought.

They are a really interesting looking chameleon that is quite flexible and incredibly hardy. Below are some pictures of some of my gracilior males. The interesting thing with graciliors is that they have ruby red claws as adults. Graciliors have colored cheek patches which quads do not. The second to last picture was taken by Chris Anderson of a gracilior's claws in the wild. The last picture is a typical quad male I found on the internet. My own quad males get really ticked off when I try to take pictures of them and put on a really ugly face. They are all wild caughts, too, so banged up.

I have one gracilior in a bioactive glass terrarium using only a fogger and am not thrilled. I haven't gotten it right. I get a lot of water build up and don't think I am giving him enough water. When I have the time, I will change it and add automatic misting once or twice a day.

20161106_123958.jpg

20171027_152759.jpg

image3.JPG

5520486348_b8122c0487_o.jpg

14915215_10154716237973464_7822520648660098543_n.jpg

@jannb still has a couple of GORGEOUS boys for sale. I have one of their sisters.
I have one of @jannb baby veiled . Phoebe is amazing . She has amazing blood lines . She is incredibly healthy . We have 2 veiled , 1 panther , 2 beardies and a Leopard gecko . I would definitely recommend talking with @jannb if you are indeed interesting in a veiled . She is the veiled queen .

If you are interested in a panther chat with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla . Matt and Jessica are amazing . The knowledge is unbelievable and his lines are amazing . We have one of his babies. Septiseye is healthy , sweet as can be and really easy care .

They all have very different personalities . I think key is research . Take your time set up for what ever you choose well ahead .

@Remkon has a Jackson he is also an amazing keeper he would be a wonderful person to PM for info . Best of luck with your pick .

too Cold for yemes. if you do get one it would be too hot for your salamanders. for 70 you will do best with trioceros species and if it is bioactives. pygmies would do best, and in those low temperatures aswell.

Back
Top Bottom