ugh!!!

bigfink909

dory has her second RI in two months. Does anyone know of any preventative measures i can take to prevent them?

2-5 minute 2-3 times a day sprayings and thats it! no wet substrates, no humidifiers/foggers in the cage. make sure your basking/ambient temps are correct.

Bump your temperature up a few degrees.
Ensure there are no draughts or breezes, fans, aircons, vents etc near the cage.
See your vet.

ive heard drafts at night can cause this..make sure all windows are closed at night, and no fans running that will blow on them..

we have no fans or open windows in her room ever. we only mist twice a day for like 2 min. she went to the vet for the one she had like three weeks ago and the guy just gave me some batril and said hopefully it works

Ensure adequate/extra hydration for the duration of treatment, since Baytril has a harsh effect on the renal system.

We aren't going with baytril this time. The doc gave us that for her infection which was a few weeks ago. This time we are going to try reptaid.

reptaid wont deal with the source of infection if your lizard does have a respiratory infection. Messing with remedies will only see the problem worsen.
If your animal does have a respiratory infection, its likely not another but the same issue which has not responded to baytril.
If this is the case I recommend another vet visit. Ask for a culture to be done to determin an appropriate drug to use.

reptaid wont deal with the source of infection if your lizard does have a respiratory infection. Messing with remedies will only see the problem worsen.
If your animal does have a respiratory infection, its likely not another but the same issue which has not responded to baytril.
If this is the case I recommend another vet visit. Ask for a culture to be done to determin an appropriate drug to use.

well thats a bummer. i think we are going to try a different vet this time. its all so frustrating because she appeared to fully recover from the first infection.

How long was your cham on the baytril last time?

So close together kind of makes me wonder if it was truly completely taken care of the first time. Baytril administration should be continued for up to several days after the symptoms clear up, not just until symptoms clear up.

In a case where its the same problem flaring up again, your vet should either change products or increase your baytril dosage and/or extend the duration of treatment. Because previous treatment that didn't take care of the problem completely like this is likely to have made the infection resistant to baytril. It is very important with antibiotics to treat for a while after symptoms clear up to make sure it is completely cleared up because anything that survives the initial treatment becomes resistant to treatment.

Make sure your basking temps are plenty warm too.

I think a culture is in order and a change of approach. (medication)
Not all RI are bacteria based, some can be caused by fungal infection and require differing treatment, hence the need for accurate diagnosis via culturing.

You could ask your vet about Fortaz (ceftazidime)
This is a 3rd generation cephalosporin (newer than Baytril)used parenterally for gram-negative infections, and is particularly, useful in reptiles.
May cause pain on IM injection; SC injection probably less painful. Is kept in freezer and must be brought to room temperature before injecting.

I have used Fortaz myself with lizard RI and found a good response within a week or two. :)

Last edited:
Glad she got better... How is she doing now after all the treatment and recomendations? Just a little question.... Did she stop eating properly due to mucas build up in the mouth etc from the Respiratory problem? Has anyone else experienced this and had to feed theirs by hand?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom