U.S. Customs

So what is the final verdict on shipping, either way, then? Apparently what Cham Nation's mentioning is a new ban on shipping animals by air. Is it the same with just driving them across the border (can to us)? Or is that allowed with certain proper permits?
What are the rules about the other way (us to can), anyway? I know some breeders have stock from screameleons & such, so it must be possible, or at least was, even if complicated or expensive. I'm curious now, about the specifics. Can anybody clarify, in detail? I remember skimming over mention of the costs in another thread, but can't remember much. I live right by the border, so if it's a matter that only applies to flights, it's the kind of thing I could overcome with a US domestic flight to Detroit and a cross-border drive, if it ever comes up where I really wanted certain chameleon from a US breeder.
I still don't understand how people can import piles of wildcaughts from foreign countries, but crossing the border in north America has to be such a big complicated gymnastic feat. Lol.

Importing WC animals requires the same Permits and Inspections that importing CB animals do (or at least, different permits).

Driving across the boarder to deliver(/receive) animals is no different then sending them by air (except we can't send by air now it seems)

You will need a CITES permit specifically noting what animals you're bringing across (which typically takes 1-9 months depending on where to where). Costs 150 now I think.

You need a USFW inspection at the port of departure (I think USFW inspects packages heading into Canada too, not sure on that one), cost varies between 150-250 I've heard.

I was guessing that Drews only option currently would be driving to the boarder, getting an inspection there, then driving to a courier and shipping from there. But even this may not be allowed. Hard to say when you're dealing with US Customs/USFW, almost seems like they just make stuff up when they feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom