Two Week Food Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puterguru

Could you guys give me a rough idea of what would probably be a good two week supply of food for a 7 month old Ambilobe Panther? I realize it depends on how much he eats but I would just like a rough idea. I'll be getting my first chameleon the 20th of this month and want to have a two weeks supply of food available. I do have a list of where to buy some feeders on the Internet but happy to know who you guys have had good luck with as well. I'll be needing.

Crickets
Hornworms
Silkworms
Dubias

That should get me started. Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind that he may not eat the first few days as he's settling in. Not all of them go off food, but it's not unusual for them to not eat 2-3 days.

It'll be a little tough to make a set-in-stone list, but if we realistically think that you'll feed more of one thing versus another (mainly due to cost) then it might break down to something like this:

Your main daily feeders will probably be crickets and dubias.
Lets say he's eating about 8-10 medium/med-large feeders, you can say you need at least 4-5 of each daily. 4 x 14 = 56 of each.

I would only get 1 pod of hornworms, since they grow so quickly. A cup usually contains 20 small-medium worms.

I forget how many silkworms come in a cup but let's say it's about 20-25 as well. These two worms I would just sprinkle in throughout the two weeks. These will last you longer than the hornworms.

And you're welcome to mix it up, so you could do one day where he only gets a couple roaches but several worms. Or just one or two worms and the rest roaches, etc. If I were you, I would just go ahead and order crickets and roaches in bulk from somewhere. Roaches breed super easily and require very little care, so I'd go ahead and start a colony now. And I would also get 500-1000 crickets too, which you can keep in a big plastic tote. You'll be set all month and it'll be so much cheaper than buying them locally at a pet store at 11 cents each.

Keep in mind that he may not eat the first few days as he's settling in. Not all of them go off food, but it's not unusual for them to not eat 2-3 days.

It'll be a little tough to make a set-in-stone list, but if we realistically think that you'll feed more of one thing versus another (mainly due to cost) then it might break down to something like this:

Your main daily feeders will probably be crickets and dubias.
Lets say he's eating about 8-10 medium/med-large feeders, you can say you need at least 4-5 of each daily. 4 x 14 = 56 of each.

I would only get 1 pod of hornworms, since they grow so quickly. A cup usually contains 20 small-medium worms.

I forget how many silkworms come in a cup but let's say it's about 20-25 as well. These two worms I would just sprinkle in throughout the two weeks. These will last you longer than the hornworms.

And you're welcome to mix it up, so you could do one day where he only gets a couple roaches but several worms. Or just one or two worms and the rest roaches, etc. If I were you, I would just go ahead and order crickets and roaches in bulk from somewhere. Roaches breed super easily and require very little care, so I'd go ahead and start a colony now. And I would also get 500-1000 crickets too, which you can keep in a big plastic tote. You'll be set all month and it'll be so much cheaper than buying them locally at a pet store at 11 cents each.
I didn't know he may not eat for a few days, thank you.

Anyone know where I can get the silkworms? Everyone seems to be out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom