Two sources of heat?

LibbyRhiann

Hi there ...

I just wanted everyone’s opinion on having two sources of heat? I live in the UK, and I feel like my Cham during the day recently stays under his basking spot a lot, and when I’m misting and put my hand in the cage to feel around I don’t feel like it’s actually that warm, so I’ve been doing some research and someone suggested using two sources of heat so his normal basking bulb and also using a ceramic heat emitter too... is this something that would help??

I have a screen cage! My humidity levels are always good!

Second heat source is not necessary (and I wouldn't bother) unless your nighttime temperatures are regularly below the minimum recommended for your species of chameleon.

In the wild, basking temps aren't all that warm as some folks think, and they don't seem to bask more than a couple/few hours a day—just enough to aid in digestion, & support biological functions.

Second heat source is not necessary (and I wouldn't bother) unless your nighttime temperatures are regularly below the minimum recommended for your species of chameleon.

In the wild, basking temps aren't all that warm as some folks think, and they don't seem to bask more than a couple/few hours a day—just enough to aid in digestion, & support biological functions.

My nighttime temps are always fine they never go below 20 Celsius. But it’s the daytime temp I’m worried about, he just seems to sit under the basking spot alllllllll day, and with me living in the UK and having a screen cage it’s probably because my room temp is cold?

Veiled chameleon,
his basking temp is about 26 degrees Celsius, and I have Read it needs to be at least 29, but I’m using a 100w bulb and the closest branch is very close to it (no close enough to burn himself) and obviously there’s no higher watt.
Ambient temps are around 22 degrees Celsius.

Ambient sounds fine; basking might be a couple degrees warmer; IDK if 29 is too high with some recent claims. Beman?

What kind of bulb is it (household incandescent, LED, halogen)? Is it in a dome or reflector?
LEDs don't provide much heat.
There are higher wattages, but in specialty bulbs, like dedicated basking bulbs (which I don't personally recommend).
Incandescents are best IMO. Domes/reflectors can help if you don't have one.
I prefer incandescent flood (not spot) lights; they help focus the light & heat without creating a spotlight "Hot spot". I mount at an angle to provide a gradient of basking temps, and the lizard can choose how warm s/he wants.

Back
Top Bottom