Two Hatchlings in One Egg :)

PardalisGirl

Avid Member
I got a bit of a surprise today. I checked my eggs and found out that a Veiled clutch had started to hatch. Two hatchlings were together in a cute "chameleon hug". Then I discovered that there was only ONE empty egg. I looked and looked but could find no other empty egg. I have to conclude that they were both in the same egg.

When I took them out of the egg container they looked like they might be joined together. But they weren't....they were just hugging. One is bigger than the other, but they both look healthy. Anyone else have two separate hatchlings in one egg? I've had conjoined hatchlings before. They did not survive as they had two heads and one body.

I didn't take pictures because they look just like any other Veiled hatchling does and I'm supposed to be working on my federal income tax return which is due tomorrow :(

I had it happen with panthers twice in the same clutch. Even wrote a short account of it that was published in the CiN in Winter 1994, I think.

A friend of mine who breeds veileds swears this happened to him too.. He had 4 eggs in one container left to hatch.. later when he checked he had 5 babies and only 4 egg shells

neat-o!

I got a bit of a surprise today. I checked my eggs and found out that a Veiled clutch had started to hatch. Two hatchlings were together in a cute "chameleon hug". Then I discovered that there was only ONE empty egg. I looked and looked but could find no other empty egg. I have to conclude that they were both in the same egg.

When I took them out of the egg container they looked like they might be joined together. But they weren't....they were just hugging. One is bigger than the other, but they both look healthy. Anyone else have two separate hatchlings in one egg? I've had conjoined hatchlings before. They did not survive as they had two heads and one body.

I didn't take pictures because they look just like any other Veiled hatchling does and I'm supposed to be working on my federal income tax return which is due tomorrow :(

This puts a whole new meaning to "don't count your chickens (or chameleons) before they hatch"! I hope they are all healthy and I hope a few of my eggs do that too :D

Congrats Catherine on your new babys. Would these be Otto's babies? Good luck on your taxes. I have been really busy with my job at H&R Block.

Twins?

I too, Kent, would like to know if those two babies ended up looking the same. I was wondering if there had been any know cham twins. Or if that ever really happened. I suppose you have to check the DNA to see if they are really true twins. But it would be cool to have two panthers with the same markings and color. I am thinking about keeping these two separate to see how similar they look. More will surely hatch in coming days.

This clutch is not from Otto. But I do have Otto babies and sub-adults. The sub-adults are turning out to be high yellow Veileds that color up at a young age. Still waiting for Royden to come over and photograph them :)

Unfortunately, none of my twins survived. The first two hatched on their own but were very small and only lived a couple weeks. It was the first 4 eggs of the clutch and I found 5 babies out. I was 17 so you can imagine how blown away I was to find 4 empty egg shells and 5 babies! Also, later, when almost all of the eggs had hatched, one sweat and failed to pip. After a couple of days I opened it and found two neos facing each other but head-to-toe. I cut them out and left them in the incubator for several days before they died. They never moved.

Also, along with my story about the panthers in the CiN there was another person's account of finding twin Jackson's in one sac! Forgot about that.

And check out Mike's pics in this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/twin-chameleons-4989/

Very cool Catherine! Good luck with them! Newbie's second clutch had 2 eggs that looked "conjoined" but they turned out to be infertile.

Mike's pictures!

Mike's pictures of the conjoined twins is cool and creepy. Do you know if they survived for awhile? Reminds me of Dr. Doolittle's Push-me-Pull-you animal. If they lived those twins would always try to go in the opposite direction!

Julie...I love your signatures....The skinny girl one I saw and the husband one that appeared later!

Julie...I love your signatures....The skinny girl one I saw and the husband one that appeared later!

Thanks Catherine! Glad to see you are back on line and doing well! The skinny girl one is on a sign I have at my desk :p and the other one....well, kind of fitting given the circumstances don't you think? :D:D

Back
Top Bottom