Two Chameleons Died within a week

Well it's in the past. You're being honest, which most people aren't. I'm sure we've all done some pretty stupid things at some point. Before I had access to internet I had many critters that died probably before they should have.

Chams are just a reptile that shouldn't be available in stores. People that get them should probably have years and years experience with reptiles, feeders, etc. So that when they get one, it just takes some learning on the specifics and the rest comes natural. Now there's a new wave of people involved with them that have never had much or any experience so it's a steep learning curve. If you're one of these people, by all means jump into the cham world, but definitely do extra reading and be cautious. If you've never kept anything, chameleons/bugs/plants are going to be a shocking and probably stressful experience until you settle in.

I'm sure it's confusing hearing about how delicate chams are, but then wait... others are feeding WC bugs, putting them outside even through storms, having chams hang around the house with them, using all sorts of exotic plants, and all other sorts of things, but they're still thriving with no issues? This is what you learn to do safely with time and experience keeping reptiles. Some of this can't be accurately read about and you just have to start with the correct basics and inch towards trying new things as you learn your animal.
Very well said. I just started getting into chameleons in February and pretty much have been researching everyday as much as I can and I only have just scratched the surface on really everything there is to know about these animals. The most important thing is to never stop trying to learn in this hobby because it really is a never ending quest. No one is an expert in this hobby you can only keep fine tuning your tactics and care over MANY years and you should still be always trying to find out more.

Now if I were in the OPs shoes I wouldn’t be discouraged in trying another crack at owning one of these animals. If you have the determination and desire to really actually want a chameleon then you should be researching everyday and talking to other keepers who have been doing this for many years. Your going to get a lot of information over many many months and it will all feel like a lot to take in but trust me it will all start to click and start to make sense. THEN you can start thinking about getting the chameleon after you already have a solid base of knowledge to work off of.

I spent a year doing research before I got my cham. I ran my enclosure for 2 months making sure the temps and humidity ran well. Even after all that I still had issues after I started, but luckily I had a decent start and help on here so I was able to keep my baby alive through his more fragile weeks.
It's a lot more than just researching how to care for a cham. Its researching insect and plant care, humidity levels and how to maintain them, environments, structural knowledge is good if you ever want to build your own enclosure. There are a lot of moving parts that come with owning a cham even outside the cham itself and I think that's where a lot of people get lost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom