Two cages, do I still need to block the side?

jenfur427

Established Member
Hi! I have a 4 month old female, and am getting a 6 month old male later this week. Their cages are not next to each other, but if she was on the edge of her enclosure, and he was on the edge of his (both have plenty of coverage and hiding places), they could technically see each other (cages are about ten feet apart). Do I still want to completely cover the side of his or hers? Thank you!

9C84E753-2C20-40B5-91F8-94593FB99540.jpeg

Yes you do because just seeing the male will stress her out as well as when she gets older it can cause her to lay eggs even though they never mated. Egg laying can shorten their life so you want to keep her from doing that or at the very least only laying a few eggs each time. This can be achieved by keeping her basking temps a little lower when she’s sexually mature as well as only feeding her like 3-4 feeders 2-3 days a week at that point. Are your chams panthers or veileds or what kind? You have beautiful set ups. You’ll need to upgrade the smaller cage soon to at least a 2x2x4.

Is that laying egg thing real? I kept a female over a year without having eggs and my males would see her and she'd see them pretty regularly. Also, Aside from the egg laying, there is some debate that seeing other chameleons is good for them(just not constantly with no escape). So the occasional glances I personally think could be beneficial. However, if the egg laying thing is a problem with females, then I can understand the concern and maybe it'd be wise to block them 100%

Yes you do because just seeing the male will stress her out as well as when she gets older it can cause her to lay eggs even though they never mated. Egg laying can shorten their life so you want to keep her from doing that or at the very least only laying a few eggs each time. This can be achieved by keeping her basking temps a little lower when she’s sexually mature as well as only feeding her like 3-4 feeders 2-3 days a week at that point. Are your chams panthers or veileds or what kind? You have beautiful set ups. You’ll need to upgrade the smaller cage soon to at least a 2x2x4.
Thank you. They’re both panthers. She will get upgraded eventually but she’s still really small at this point. Hers is a 36x36x18 for now.

Is that laying egg thing real? I kept a female over a year without having eggs and my males would see her and she'd see them pretty regularly. Also, Aside from the egg laying, there is some debate that seeing other chameleons is good for them(just not constantly with no escape). So the occasional glances I personally think could be beneficial. However, if the egg laying thing is a problem with females, then I can understand the concern and maybe it'd be wise to block them 100%
I think you may be right that occasionally it might be healthy for them to see another Cham but I would just be afraid of it causing her to produce to many eggs. I love your new avatar because I love anoles and use to keep them years ago!

I think you may be right that occasionally it might be healthy for them to see another Cham but I would just be afraid of it causing her to produce to many eggs. I love your new avatar because I love anoles and use to keep them years ago!
Yeah I wasn't disagreeing, just curious as I've heard that, but wanted more info. And thank you lol!

Thank you for responding, I feel hurt when you all neglect me 😭

I'm actually more concerned for the male driving himself crazy for the female he cannot reach. My male Shiv ground his horn down (hence the name) to get a glimpse of a young female of a different subspecies that was across the yard. I had to cover her cage and move him to a new one to get him to settle down.

Back
Top Bottom