Twitching, HELP!

Also, he pooped today and It looks perfectly normal. He also drank some water that I put up to his lips after he fought me about the calcium. So he still has some fight in him and the natural drive to drink water and poop.
Just trying to find some positives in all this :) Celebrating for even the small successes.

You said..."Yes they look like ghosts"...they shouldn't...that's too heavy. If you're doing it with the D3 that could mean he's getting too much D3.

You said..."The mister collects and drips which is where he drinks from. The mister is on constantly until the water runs out which is later in the day"...I would still add a dripper.

You said..." Yes the basking light is off. I can't control the weather and If its 100 degrees, all i can do is try to cool it as best as possible. I live in a studio with no AC. Just fans."...I understand you can't control the weather. I just have to ask questions to be sure of what's going on. Thats the only way I can give you a good answer.

MVB are combo bulbs that are both basking and uvb, too hot for small enclosures and chameleons seem to be able to realize when they specifically need UVB so putting it in a basking combo usually is asking for issues. At least that isn't it. He may be having poor grip today and gotten worse all of a sudden because he is stressed and is allowing his illness to show more. Honestly if it was just the hanging leg without the shaky twitch and his casque, and his eating habits... I mean resting single legs and especially alternating isn't always a huge issue and sometimes you catch it in the middle of the day during just a relaxing time. But with all the other symptoms I definitely say something is not right. He will likely get worse before he gets better and if it is something like MBD, even mild, it can take a very long time to get where it needs to be, and through out his life you will be managing it, though he can have a healthy normal lifespan

Fighting and fussy animals is always a good sign, so are normal bowel movements and eating/drinking desires. I would rather have an animal fight me on something not fun like meds, than just sit there and allow it when obviously it's against their nature.

How much did your vet prescribe of the liquid calcium?

You said..."Yes they look like ghosts"...they shouldn't...that's too heavy. If you're doing it with the D3 that could mean he's getting too much D3.

You said..."The mister collects and drips which is where he drinks from. The mister is on constantly until the water runs out which is later in the day"...I would still add a dripper.

You said..." Yes the basking light is off. I can't control the weather and If its 100 degrees, all i can do is try to cool it as best as possible. I live in a studio with no AC. Just fans."...I understand you can't control the weather. I just have to ask questions to be sure of what's going on. Thats the only way I can give you a good answer.

Im not trying to be rude but I just feel like some of the stuff I already stated. Im not only getting overwhelmed with what I am dealing with but then I am answering things over and over again. I only dust with D3 2 times a month. Im not going to buy a dripper if he is using the mister to drink from. like i physically see him drinking from it. He knows thats where his water is. Its not so much that you were asking but assuming i was kind of doing things wrong when I explained as best as I could and seemed to me i was doing it right. I totally want opinions and help (I appreciate it sooo much, I don't want you to think I'm ungreatful) but when you are dealing with a sick cham the last thing you want is people assuming you arnt doing it right when its all explained. It sucks to be targeted as a neglectful owner when your pet is sick, so please excuse my snappy responses.

MVB are combo bulbs that are both basking and uvb, too hot for small enclosures and chameleons seem to be able to realize when they specifically need UVB so putting it in a basking combo usually is asking for issues. At least that isn't it. He may be having poor grip today and gotten worse all of a sudden because he is stressed and is allowing his illness to show more. Honestly if it was just the hanging leg without the shaky twitch and his casque, and his eating habits... I mean resting single legs and especially alternating isn't always a huge issue and sometimes you catch it in the middle of the day during just a relaxing time. But with all the other symptoms I definitely say something is not right. He will likely get worse before he gets better and if it is something like MBD, even mild, it can take a very long time to get where it needs to be, and through out his life you will be managing it, though he can have a healthy normal lifespan

Fighting and fussy animals is always a good sign, so are normal bowel movements and eating/drinking desires. I would rather have an animal fight me on something not fun like meds, than just sit there and allow it when obviously it's against their nature.

How much did your vet prescribe of the liquid calcium?
I am for sure happy that he was putting up a fight. Made me feel better especially since he was acting so weak when I was just normally handling him. Im not expecting him to get better quickly, just saddens me when I see its getting worse. Ya know? Nobody wants them animals to die and when you get signs that its not looking good it takes a toll on you emotionally and even physically. He is on .15 mL per day.

Wait till they call honestly. Cause then adjustments could possibly be made if he is low of calcium

Wait till they call honestly. Cause then adjustments could possibly be made if he is low of calcium

Test came back. Sadly kidney failure and super low calcium. It's a waiting game now. Vet couldn't offer is much more then that. At this point we are still forcing meds, in your own personal opinion would you stop? I'm considering it because I think it's causing more stress and harm then helping him. I respect your opinion a lot, that's why I am asking.

Calcium levels can be helped in a lot of ways, and kidney failure does not mean death if you can increase levels of water and fluid in his diet. He will always have kidney damage and will have a shorter life span may be because of it. But you can make whatever life he has left comfortable and happy. So if he is truly 2oz? Then he only weighs 56 grams and that seems a bit weird... do you have a food scale? Do the .15 daily, stressing him out currently if necessary for health. Do you have the ability to take him outdoors right now? I would recommend maybe buying a cheap reptibreeze or something to move him outside in and keep him safe so you can leave him for several hours outside at a time without having to be with him other than watering for massive amounts. Put a live schefflera or something in it and he will be fine. Come outside every hour to 30 minutes and use a pump mister and pump it up and the. Just soak him for 2 minutes at least, set a timer. Allow him to spend at least 30 minutes outside if not more and make sure he has the ability to get in and out of complete shade.

I suggest buying hornworms or silkworms and making then a part of his daily diet or or two will increase his hydration levels immensely. I would suggest getting some subq fluids from the vet if you can but if you don't have enough money to put towards the vet and a mistking at the same time put it towards mistking right now. Until you get the mistking give him a 30 minute shower daily and buy a pump up mister from home depot or something should cost like 10-15 dollars for a decent one. Set a timer for misting for 4 minutes, soak him nice and long. Dealing with long term dehydration takes a while and a lot of different approaches, but it can be turned around to some degree.

Back
Top Bottom