Twisters

edub2017

Has anyone ever heard of Twisters? From what I understand they are the larva form of the blowfly. I was sifting through a reptile magazine and noticed an advertisment, which brought me to this link: InsectsUSA. Both the website and magazine ad fail to provide much information on care or nutritional value. Does anyone have experience using these as feeders?:confused:

edub2017 said:
Has anyone ever heard of Twisters? From what I understand they are the larva form of the blowfly. I was sifting through a reptile magazine and noticed an advertisment, which brought me to this link: InsectsUSA. Both the website and magazine ad fail to provide much information on care or nutritional value. Does anyone have experience using these as feeders?:confused:

Places that sell maggots for food often provide little to no information on purpose. The word maggot doesn't make for a lot of sales so they don't really want to say in plain english what they are. Also I'm sure www.Insectsusa.com would rather not advertise to reptile owners that they feed their fly larvae a red dye to get them the color that they are.

"the truth is out there...."

What is the point of dying them?? Is it just gimmick? Do chameleons or other reptiles care what color their food is?

Chamomile T said:
What is the point of dying them?? Is it just gimmick? Do chameleons or other reptiles care what color their food is?

What is the point of dying them?
The point is, they are trying to sell a product that is artificialy dyed to unsuspecting customers in the pet trade.
Is it just a gimmick?
- YES, it's just a sales gimmick!
Do chameleons or other reptiles care what color their food is?
Some animals are attracted to brighter colors and I think this would be their only selling point if you were to call them on it. In my opinion, if it aint broke don't fix it! As long as the fly larvae are moving it will still attract attention and the animal and will still look at it as food. I personaly would not feed anything to my animals that has been dyed. But that's a personal choice and some may not care. I do believe it is wrong of any company to not come forward and be honest about the product they are selling and what they are feeding it and that alone would be a turn off for me.

I have used these "Twisters" aka Maggots. But not for chameleons. I have used them for Ice fishing. The reason they come it diffrent collors is that Fish are attrackted to certain colors at certain light conditions, and temps. I personally would not feed them to My Cham but for Fishing they are great. Just my two cents. I think it is a ploy that they are trying to expand into new markets.

Frank

exoticpetluvr said:
They seemed a bit small to me for fishing.

Generally Yea, But the way we set up our hooks for Ice Fishing they are not the only thing on the hook. We put a blood worm, Wax worm, and a few diffrent collored maggots on there, Kinda like a buffe'. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom