Twin chameleons

Interesting... I had three eggs like that in my female panther's last clutch. I am wondering if it may be a function of female condition. Even with reduced feed this female laid 41 eggs in her first clutch and all were huge, fairly uniform in size and, just recently, hatched. About two months later she laid her second clutch of 48 eggs. The second clutch of eggs was much more variable in size, had three of the so-called "hulkmeleon" eggs. About 8 of the smaller eggs molded within 1-2 months.

That first clutch was pretty big but all were normal - however after laying all those eggs the second clutch was poorer quality and contained the hulkmeleon eggs.

Anyways.... to the point - three of the eggs were longer than normal and had definite cleavage. Two of them died early and I didn't take any photos....however..... the third egg is doing quite well and is now 5 months into incubation. I will try and get some photos of it soon and will give another update in June 2010 - which is when it is due to hatch.

With these joined/cleaved eggs usually both babies are facing the same way so you have to hope that the one facing the outside end of the egg hatches first because if the other one does it usually drowns.

Back
Top Bottom