Turtle conservation

There has been a big push the last ten years to help turtles. In the outer banks they set up boundaries so that you can trample or accidentally dig up turtle nest. I always love when people give back. I'm hoping my work will slow down at some point so I can volunteer agai.

None today either. I have next weekend we'll see what happens. If I see any leatherbacks or greens I'll take pictures....:)

I am wishing you luck (y)- Shame you haven't seen any but on the other hand it's been good you haven't- if that makes sense- I googled where Wellfleet is as I don't know the U.S.A at all - looks beautiful but i can see why they could get stranded there. England is so teeny compared to US.:LOL:

That's good news- I hang my head in utter shame :oops: but I don't know my turtle species very well- only ever seen one turtle and that was captive - I googled Kemps as I hadn't heard of them- they are indeed super cute!

That's good news- I hang my head in utter shame :oops: but I don't know my turtle species very well- only ever seen one turtle and that was captive - I googled Kemps as I hadn't heard of them- they are indeed super cute!
Yeah they're in danger and I believe. They're really small. I just want to see one of the big ones sometime. One more weekend of it and I think the migration is over

There has been a big push the last ten years to help turtles. In the outer banks they set up boundaries so that you can trample or accidentally dig up turtle nest. I always love when people give back. I'm hoping my work will slow down at some point so I can volunteer agai.
I'm from the Southern outer Banks and we used to help mark the nests on Hatteras. My husband works on the ferry and a bunch of the guys help the fish and game people every year.

I'm from the Southern outer Banks and we used to help mark the nests on Hatteras. My husband works on the ferry and a bunch of the guys help the fish and game people every year.
these ones get stuck in this little Bay. When they're going self and it's too cold so we Mark GPS the spot in the Autobahn Society comes in releases them outside the Bay

these ones get stuck in this little Bay. When they're going self and it's too cold so we Mark GPS the spot in the Autobahn Society comes in releases them outside the Bay
Hatteras is a really narrow strip of land in several places, with the ocean on one side of the road and the sound on the other. Sometimes the turtles lay soundside, when they find them on the wrong side of the road in a bad spot they put a plywood barrier around them and move them to the ocean side after they hatch. They're safe in the sound because there are inlets all over but the hatchlings try to cross the road a lot of the time instead of going straight into the sound.

Back
Top Bottom