Turtle and tortoise pictures!

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
I love my chameleons but I love my turtles and tortoises too! I can't say I have just one favorite animal!

These are my ornate box turtle pair that I got from a rescue as hatchlings after their injured mom laid eggs while in rehabilitation. They're getting so big! Their names are Calvin and Hobbes...but as they're nearing maturity their eyes are looking more brown than red, which would mean they should be Calvina and Hobbette!

A0D0F13B-90D3-4B6A-8EBE-96F37F324E85_zpsk9tvy7s5.jpg

And two new additions! My box turtles still with my mom back in Texas had babies! One was artificially incubated and the other was found about a month later in the outdoor enclosure. These are three-toed box turtles and man are they tiny and adorable as babies!! Just can't get enough of these two! Their names are Spot (my mom has ALWAYS wanted to name something Spot) and Dot. :)

B16C503A-C66F-43A3-B97E-17710CE49DD3_zpstgdl2tso.jpg

EB07AC0E-6530-436C-9A08-7416B207E003_zpsgqdnuavv.jpg

And the sulcata girls get bigger and bigger each year! Scarlet weighed about 80lbs last summer. They crawl up on the deck and hang out with us when we're outside.

7453BD73-A198-478A-A1B3-D1F8ED9966EC_zpshe1k1ejd.jpg

And this is baby Spot on Rhett for size comparison. This is the smaller sulcata.

35D9ECA7-3E8B-4B64-AA44-0B217AB21C4D_zpsa2nhexhq.jpg

Last edited:
They look great Dayna!

I miss keeping my ornate box turtles that I had a few years ago. Loaded with personality and super friendly, of course they were always looking forward to getting fed. ;)

Love the "foot rest" ha!! Looks like you live in a jungle!!! I love torts and turtles too, but ideally would want to let one roam in my backyard. I was offered for free a 100 lb sulcata. Would have took it a heartbeat, but not with my daughter's pit bull living here!!! It would harass the tortoise to no end. Her mission in my yard right now, is to kill every anole that exists! She will spend literally hours digging and tearing up my plants in my yard trying to get at them, so no tortoise for me! Yours are adorable! I had a Bells Hingeback tort for 6 years and he got out under my fence(long story) and into the neighbor's yard and was killed by their pit bull! I was so upset!!!

I love seeing your turtles and torts. As you know I am new to keeping them but they have stole my heart. :)

Chamrave - they do have such great little personalities! People are always surprised to hear that.

Carol - that is awful about your hingeback. :( My dogs are wonderful around the turts and torts but they don't spend any unsupervised time with them just in case. One of them started crawling over my dog Moki the other day and she just looked at me like 'help?'

Jann - they are masters at stealing hearts! I adore them. :) Just look at these little cuties!

b2e3ae2ec30ddabf14ca8e5230f92597_zpsd4e0fe82.jpg

4b3db5cd680a0227be19138421ce1f47_zpsf44174ac.jpg

Back
Top Bottom