Trying to eat dirt with no bug in it

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi my male juvenile vieled is worrying me. The other day I saw him eating dirt with no bugs in the dirt but lateIy I have been catching him by the bottom of the plants when I walk in and he is chewing or about to shoot his tongue. He might not be eating dirt but I am pretty sure he is. I think he is mistaking the dirt for worms.I feed him plenty of food about 8-12 medium size crickets 4-5 BSFL and 3 or 4 times a week a waxwork or two. I cover up the dirt with rocks and mesh. Do you guys know what it means or what I should do.

Every day I supplement with calcium powder without D3. About 3 times a month I use calcium powder with D3 and 3 times a month I use a multivitamin.It is all phosphorous free except the multivitamin might not be but I think it is.

Every day I supplement with calcium powder without D3. About 3 times a month I use calcium powder with D3 and 3 times a month I use a multivitamin.It is all phosphorous free except the multivitamin might not be but I think it is.
You should cut back on the D3 and multivitamin to just twice a month for each. To prevent your cham from eating dirt, add some river rocks (big enough that he can’t eat those) around the base of the plant to cover all exposed dirt.

I tried that but the width of his tong is small enough to fit through the cracks between the rocks.I will cut down on the D3 and multivitamin. I had him on 3 times a months for the D3 and multivitamin,but I do not know why that would give him the urge to eat dirt.

Last edited:
To prevent your cham from eating dirt, add some river rocks (big enough that he can’t eat those) around the base of the plant to cover all exposed dirt.
I tried that but the width of his tong is small enough to fit through the cracks between the rocks.
I do not know why that would give him the urge to eat dirt.
Then make the layer of river pebbles thicker. It may require removing some soil or—worst case—transplanting deeper into the pots, but it's doable.

TMK, it's generally due to some deficiency, either in the food, or the cham's ability to absorb & assimilate it. If it continues, and no-one here has any ideas, I'd ask your herp vet—not an emergency situation, but when you take him in for a checkup. ;)

I tried that but the width of his tong is small enough to fit through the cracks between the rocks.I will cut down on the D3 and multivitamin. I had him on 3 times a months for the D3 and multivitamin,but I do not know why that would give him the urge to eat dirt.
As @Klyde O'Scope said, try putting a thicker layer of stones so he can’t reach thru. Also as he said, it is usually a way for the animal to get some mineral that it may be lacking. Have you been gutloading your crickets well with fresh greens and veggies or something like bug burger? Maybe get some bee pollen and put a little in with your calcium a few times a week or add it to your bugs gut load. Does your plant soil have perlite in it? Maybe he sees that and thinks it’s something yummy.

I think eating dirt may just be a habit of some chameleons for whatever reason. Even with good supplementation some will do it. If your soil doesn't have any large chunks to choke on or cause a blockage then he should be fine given all other husbandry is on point.
yup typically a healthy chameleon shouldn't get impacted unless its a really large amount of dirt or really gritty dirt with other components

Thank you for all the feedback. I will do everything you guys recommended. He is not eating lots of it and there are not many chunks in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom