Trying again..

As many of you know, I was posting for a while about being concerned with the health of my first veiled Chameleon, Rexy. I spent hours researching the Do’s and don’ts and a lot of money to try and provide everything she needed to have a happy, healthy life. I started noticing her appetite declining shortly after we brought her home from Petco. We maybe only had her for three weeks and then I started noticing she wasn’t showing any interest in food. I checked in on the forum to make sure I was doing everything I was supposed to. I then took her to a vet for X-rays and fecal test. The first vet said her X-ray was all good except the fact that she was constipated and she advised me to soak her in warm water to hopefully get things moving. I followed her instructions for about a week and saw little to no improvement with blood now in her stool. I took her to a different vet for X-rays again and fecal test and this time we got answers. She had a respiratory infection and bacteria in her poo. He prescribed medication to give her but unfortunately, I think it was too late for her. We lost her last Thursday and I am devastated. We only got to spend two months with her and she definitely fought as long as she could. We miss her dearly.

After much thought, we decided to try again. I’ve wanted a Cham for so long and we had just spent so much money on everything that was needed. So we decided to go through a breeder this time and we will be welcoming “Finch” home tomorrow. 🥰

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and good vibes for Rexy. Please send good vibes and prayers for a safe travel for Finch.

Any advice is more than welcome!

Attachments

• 0ECB4D03-95CC-4479-BFE0-DA0A7F68D674.jpeg
    0ECB4D03-95CC-4479-BFE0-DA0A7F68D674.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 74
As many of you know, I was posting for a while about being concerned with the health of my first veiled Chameleon, Rexy. I spent hours researching the Do’s and don’ts and a lot of money to try and provide everything she needed to have a happy, healthy life. I started noticing her appetite declining shortly after we brought her home from Petco. We maybe only had her for three weeks and then I started noticing she wasn’t showing any interest in food. I checked in on the forum to make sure I was doing everything I was supposed to. I then took her to a vet for X-rays and fecal test. The first vet said her X-ray was all good except the fact that she was constipated and she advised me to soak her in warm water to hopefully get things moving. I followed her instructions for about a week and saw little to no improvement with blood now in her stool. I took her to a different vet for X-rays again and fecal test and this time we got answers. She had a respiratory infection and bacteria in her poo. He prescribed medication to give her but unfortunately, I think it was too late for her. We lost her last Thursday and I am devastated. We only got to spend two months with her and she definitely fought as long as she could. We miss her dearly.

After much thought, we decided to try again. I’ve wanted a Cham for so long and we had just spent so much money on everything that was needed. So we decided to go through a breeder this time and we will be welcoming “Finch” home tomorrow. 🥰

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and good vibes for Rexy. Please send good vibes and prayers for a safe travel for Finch.

Any advice is more than welcome!
Picture is of baby Finch

Thank you so much. It was really tough, still is. We loved her so much. I have. I scrubbed everything down with an antibacterial soap and I also sprayed it down with Lysol and left everything to air out for a few days. @Tkrd69
That's great giving Finch a fresh clean enclosure. I hope he arrives healthy. The horror stories you hear about the chain pet stores break my heart. Keep us updated😊

That's great giving Finch a fresh clean enclosure. I hope he arrives healthy. The horror stories you hear about the chain pet stores break my heart. Keep us updated😊
It was a newbie mistake on my part, but I’m glad I was able to spend the time I did with Rexy. The breeder has been amazing! He’s taken the time to text me and do an enclosure check as well as answer any questions I have had.

I’m sorry to hear about Rexy. Please put a good cleaning on the enclosure, vines, branches and plants to make sure your new chameleon doesn’t catch anything.
Thank you. 💕 I have washed everything down with antibacterial soap and water mix, I lysoled the enclosure and let it air out for three days and I also sprayed down the leaves with antibacterial soap and water mix, sprayed it all down and re-potted all plants with Exo Terra plantation soil. I’ve been working on the finishing touches for the last four hours. 😊

View attachment 329028
Spent the last four hours putting everything in after it’s all been sanitized. Just have to add the bottom trays with the drain in it. 😊 I’m excited for Finch to see his new home tomorrow. I’ve got bendable vines coming in the mail to add as well.
I would pull out the feeder run you made. Tape and chams can be quite dangerous. Humidity will cause the tape to start lifting and the cham can get stuck to it.

What UVB strength and fixture type are you using? Looks like your top branch is quite close unless your using a T8 fixture.

Bottom drainage you want to ensure that the baby can not fall between those slats.

Back
Top Bottom