Trouble getting bits of shed off

It’s been 4 days since moog’s last shed and he can’t seem to get the skin on his head to come off any suggestions on what I should do? It doesn’t make him angery but I don’t think he likes when I try to peel it off with my fingers and honestly my fingers are a little big to get it off anyways.

Attachments

• 3361F051-AE7F-4866-98D7-BAEA12022E64.jpeg
    3361F051-AE7F-4866-98D7-BAEA12022E64.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 153
  • C519485F-1231-4315-86E3-57F2FB519242.jpeg
    C519485F-1231-4315-86E3-57F2FB519242.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 159
Don't try to peel it off you can damage the scales permanently. Wait a couple weeks and see if it doesn't come off on its own. Don't intervene unless the shed is strangling an extremity like a toe or tail. Only then coax it off with a damp Qtip.

Don't try to peel it off you can damage the scales permanently. Wait a couple weeks and see if it doesn't come off on its own. Don't intervene unless the shed is strangling an extremity like a toe or tail. Only then coax it off with a damp Qtip.
Ok thank you!

Keep with extra misting and humidity until the shed starts to look better. I am dealing with a similar dilemma right now, as my little one is working hard on a very big shed and she can't quite seem to get the rest off of her belly.

Our little jackson who has quite humid requirements and takes a few showers weekly on top of misting honestly keeps a sim spot dead center that just doesn't want to budge it would seem.

a fudge ton of misting does the job usually(y)

Thank you! Everyone disagrees with me about that. Thank you. I was scared to post that sentence, last time I did I got yelled at!

I’ve never used city water on my chameleons to many chemicals as well as chlorine in the water drys out skin and eyes. As well As water from a well it usually goes through a water softener with salt crystals. Again not good! Unless you use a neutralizing agent in the water. Over time with to much exposure can lead to health problems.

Not yelling just pointing out some general information that most people over look this is why we are all here to push chameleon husbandry to the best it possibly can be. There’s a lot to stay mindful of it is easy to over look things.

In my opinion, the shower technique is used in more extreme situations when a chameleon needs hydration, not for added humidity. It is a very temporary thing. There are many ways to add to the humidity of an enclosure, additional misting, plastic on sides, foggers, live plants, etc. This can be more challenging when the animal is free ranged, but it still can be done. Humidity may not be the issue here.

As for stuck shed, the animal will likely take care of it on their own, and unless there is a risk to the chameleon I would just leave it alone. If a risk is present, I would agree with the above mentioned suggestion about the Q-Tip. If there are repeated issues with shedding, I would look to husbandry and see if there is an issue with supplements, lighting or humidity.

okay! thats understandable. didnt think about that. i have hard water but no chlorine so i forgot about the rest of you:confused:. you can buy a test kit for fish to see if your water is okay. thanks for your insight guys!

I always suggest listening to people with more experience. i havent been in the reptile hobby for too long but i have previous experience with snakes and lizards. these guys know almost everything about chameleons. i barely know anything yet. always listen to the more informed people. i do suggest you get yourself a water test kit. message me if you want links to things. the only thing i see myself qualified for is water parameters ive been keeping aquariums my whole life.:)

Back
Top Bottom