Trip to Florida for herpin.

nightcrawler

Avid Member
My lady and I want to take a trip down to Florida this year to get away from it all. The main reason I will want to go is to go adventuring in the woods, and go herping. I would really like to go out, and find all sorts of different lizards, and turtles (I dont care for crocs, or alligators) but I dont really know where to begin looking. I dont no where Any chameleons would be, and im sure its pretty hard to find some. I do not want to collect any animals, although I might collect some bryophytes, and lichens for my personal interests. I have been looking at the invasive reptiles of Florida, and there is a ton. My questions to you is this...

How hard would it be to find a decent amount of reptiles in some of the forests around there?
How hard would it be to find an area where there are some wild populations of veileds?
How hard would it be to find some of the other invasive reptiles, and some of the native reptiles?
Does anyone actively go out herping, and know some good spots for mega diversity of life?
Is there any special forests that you know of that I should make it to because its really nice?
What is your input?

Invasive reptile species list.
http://www.myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Nonnative_Reptiles_index.htm

In some parts of Florida you can find iguanas. Sadly enough i saw a dead done today coming home from school:(

Hope you have fun and post some pics of the herps you find

People hide the location of veileds because they want to keep them a secret so they can catch them and resell them. If you do a little research on how they were released (someone broke into someone's facility and they got out) you can probably find areas where they might be :)

People hide the location of veileds because they want to keep them a secret so they can catch them and resell them. If you do a little research on how they were released (someone broke into someone's facility and they got out) you can probably find areas where they might be :)

That is very true. I used to have a PDF of invasive veileds in Florida, but I forgot where I saved it. I figured as much tho. I dont think I will be able to find as much as I would like to.

Im sure I can always find some anoles.

The wild FL veileds are on private property that it posted so you will not see those. Even if you don't see allot of wildlife FL is still a beautiful place to visit.

pssh anoles are everywhere if you come here look for the good stuff like veilds and iguanas.
Thats the whole point of my joke.

The wild FL veileds are on private property that it posted so you will not see those. Even if you don't see allot of wildlife FL is still a beautiful place to visit.

Is that legal? Can you release nonnative species on your own property?
One cant say they can contain them 100% in their own property.

Where are some of the lovely places that you have been, and think that its worth stopping there?

Thats the whole point of my joke.

Is that legal? Can you release nonnative species on your own property?
One cant say they can contain them 100% in their own property.

Where are some of the lovely places that you have been, and think that its worth stopping there?

Yes, it's legal. If I own hundreds of acres of property and veiled are out there then it is my property and I might no want anyone trespassing on it. My back yard has been my best experience for seeing wildlife. See this post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-kind-snake-31263/

Last edited:
Thats very interesting. Lots of different animals you get living by a reserve.
I should just herp in your yard, at least I know I will find some chameleons.

You are welcome to visit me and my chams and there is a camp ground at the Savannas where you would probable see allot of these animals. They have canoeing and all and it's fun!

Last edited:
go down to broward county and drive along any of the large east - west canals and you will see all the iguanas you want.

As always the first part of the morning and right before dusk is the best time to spot things. If you go down US1 from the Hobe Sound area to Jupiter you will see Gopher tortoise dens and most likely some torts.

go down to broward county and drive along any of the large east - west canals and you will see all the iguanas you want.

As always the first part of the morning and right before dusk is the best time to spot things. If you go down US1 from the Hobe Sound area to Jupiter you will see Gopher tortoise dens and most likely some torts.

yes i always see iguanas every day....i live in broward. the chams are on the west coast. im sure you could find out asking the right people. i have seen a cuban iguana in the woods in hollywood also. he was beautiful and blue.

I'm sure at this point the chams are on the east coast to. Just, ain't no one gonna tell you where they are lol.

Here is the PDF you guys were talking about in the beginning of this thread. PDF

I wouldn't mind just going down the west coast between Fort Myers and Naples and "hunting" for some. I'm sure if you have enough time you could find them. Wile yes a lot of property down there is "private" there seriously is a whole lot more that isn't marked as such. This a STATE we are talking about...not some backyard neighborhood.

And yes I have spent plenty of time down in that area, be it long before I was interested in chams, and I can say for sure there is plenty of non fenced property to search.

But if you want a sure thing, as what's been said The south east near any canal, you will find tons of Iguanas, plus some other nice surprises like Cuban night anoles, and there is also a nice sized population of horny toads in a centralized location. The toads...you will need to research. I've read where they are on the net, just can't remember exactly. Then of course there are plenty of pythons and boas in the glades.

Seriously stick to the South though. I can tell you there is little to look at up my way. Unless you have an odd fancy for anoles. I think they are as populous as cockroaches here. We do have plenty of gofer torts, but it's rare to see one out of it's den during the heat of the day. And if you ever do see one..don't pick it up. Fish and Game doesn't play around with people messing with them.

Last edited:
The best places to go herping are in palm beach, broward, dade, and monroe county. Lots of lizards!!! The best places to catch non-natives is going to be in urban and developed areas as they have been lost or let go for years in these places. Natural areas are going to contain native stuff which you should leave alone. Unless you know exactly where to look, nobody is going to find the veileds, the older spots are dried up and the most current one is almost dry also. I just went there about 6 weeks and found nothing. I have heard rumors of 2 different jacksons population and a panther population which i may be able to find in time. The best and most easy way to catch lizards is going to be at night with a led flashlight. Late spring to late fall is the best time of year.

To start off I feel the need to correct another post on this thread. IT IS ILLEGAL (NOT ALLOWED) to release NON-Native animals on your property! There are now heafty fines from Fish and Game due to the problems we are currently having with burms and many other invasive species. Supposedly the wild veileds were confined but due to hurricanes were blown out of tree's and what not and at that point developed a population.

Parkland is a good place to find brown basilisks, miami cuban anoles and all types of iguana's and anoles, broward/dade I would say are the best. Maybe try and visit some of the parks. I don't know where you'll be staying but I can let you know a spot where you WILL find plenty of snakes but not lizards. Fish and Wildlife is out there alot and collection is no longer aloud (wildlife management area). You may also see as I have seen bears, bob cats, deer, and florida panthers amoung other wildlife.

The veiled spot is kept a secret. I've been to and caught my own animals. Some of the animals that come from that spot are amazing and rival top breeders IMO. Police now patrol the area and will kick out anyone whom doesn't live there. There have been alot of complaints due to people trespassing. You can get them without trespassing but they aren't easy to find. It requires going late at night when it's dark and the chams are sleeping. If you happen to be in the Coral Springs area I may have to take you out for some herpin!

John

Actually you never really know what you are going to run across in FL. I live in Orlando and I have had someone bring me a Jacksonii xantholophus female that was in their yard. As bad as it sucks, and as illegal as it is, people are still releasing pets in all parts of the state, and they survive until winter in these parts, year round in south Florida. I can almost guarantee that you will find the very invasive cuban treefrog, they are everywhere. If you are looking at the anoles while you are here, try to find the native Florida anole (the ones that change from green to brown). They are still around but not seen near as often as the bahama, cuban an others that were released here years ago. The little Mediterranean or house geckos that you will see on the walls of buildings at night are also not native to Florida. There is a good chance that you won't find any chameleons here but you never know. Good luck!

Hmm seems like my best bet would be to make a tour of your houses. I dont no if I will be able to go for sure yet, but if I do ill let you know so we can all go herpin or something. I remember when I was in Gainesville for the fest, I went looking around, and there were so many little crazy lizards. Mostly anoles. I seen a bunch of soft shell turtles and one alligator. I would rather find some iguanas, and chameleons but if I do go I would like anything with scales. Thanks for your input and I welcome more stories if anyone has any.

I've found an adult male beardie, adult female argus monitor, a water monitor, and burms...those are probably the most exotic besides the veileds I've caught. Curly tails are running around everywhere also.

John

I've found an adult male beardie, adult female argus monitor, a water monitor, and burms...those are probably the most exotic besides the veileds I've caught. Curly tails are running around everywhere also.

John
Siting out back of Boca Raton Comm Hospital (their employee smoking area) I've seen scores and scores of iguanas, and on the rare occasion, massive Cuban night anoles. They have a bench sitting under one of those odd native trees that have roots coming from the upper canopy down to the ground for the smokers. The property line is one of these infamous canals we've been talking about in this thread.

I've told this story in another thread on here, but for you guys I'll tell it again. One day walking out to may car I came across one of these iguanas sunning himself on the blacktop of the parking lot. This guy was huge! 5 ft easy. And talk about sweet....he let me approach him and give him a stroke or two. I seriously debated taking him. He was one of the nicest iggies I've ever met. In my life time I've owned a few iguanas and they were all very nasty, tail whipping, bitting SOBs....But unfortunately at this time and place I had yet to rediscover my love of herps. So I left him be. I've been kicking myself since.
He was a brilliant green with orange highlights.

Back
Top Bottom