Trioceros pfefferi

I wanted to suggest placing a "ledge" somewhere on a plant pot. THis is why:

Our lady #1 laid 10 more eggs yesterday or this morning. Oh, and also our Pfefferi do get HUGE before they lay. Especially with a larger clutch. Huge, with egg shapes visible on their sides. So, your girl may not be quite ready yet happy14.

This was our girl that "dropped" her 1st 2 clutches on the cage floor and plants. But someone on this forum (sorry, don't remember who) said he creates a "ledge" over some dirt and his girl always buries them under this ledge. So I took a thin piece of slate and set it over one side of a plant pot some weeks ago, creating a ledge with space below it. Yesterday when my girl was still pacing I placed her under that ledge, thinking perhaps she hadn't noticed it. This morning I came in to find my girl a little thinner. I removed the plant and found 10 nice white eggs just beneath the soil under the ledge. Interesting note: they all appear plump, white, and fertile even though she hasn't bred since we got her last year.

So, you may want to create the ledge thing and let her see it. This is the first time my girl #1 actually buried her eggs, so I know it works.

Also, I can understand why people say these little Pfefferi girls don't live very long. This tiny girl has put out 3 clutches in 8 months, for a total of 24 eggs. That's quite a burden on that little body. And she lives alone, so it's not because a male is forcing his attentions on her. But she was an adult when we got her and she still looks great today and is going strong. It will be interesting to see what her life span will be.

Last edited:
Yes, but she don´t move in her terrarium.
Only she sit on her plant and don´t do what.
And she don´t eat today... .

For what it's worth, I received a gravid import that was so thin I had no idea she was in that condition until I found 5 eggs on the cage floor and she still looked the same afterward! :eek: I now have and will always keep a nesting box in her enclosure but think I'll add that ledge, too.

Morning.

Ok,

I had in the night by the female pfefferi in her terrarium 16°C and by the male pfefferi in the garden 13°C-14°C.
The female walk in her terrarium and is green. I think, she feel good: D
And the male too!

Hey,

here is a little update from the pfefferi female... .
Looks she now better?
I think, she is gravid.

Attachments

• DSC00119.JPG
    DSC00119.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
Yes, they are both looking much better. Good job. She is looking nice and lumpy. Ours look lumpy for a couple of weeks before they lay (when they are carrying 7-10 eggs). They are a shy species. Be sure she has some dense foliage in her cage so she feels safe and secure. She will probably drop or bury her eggs sometime soon.

Hi,

Yes, in the last few days she has eaten very much. Yesterday, for example, there were just under 10 even caught two flies and locusts!
It aims sowei indeed good, but it is not very much in their terrarium ... .
Is that bad?
Almost two days I could, I think, feel something near their cloaca.
What do you mean how long is about already pregnant?
I should now prefer to hold, individually or can I do with the little man in a terrarium to keep together?

Hi,

Yes, in the last few days she has eaten very much. Yesterday, for example, there were just under 10 even caught two flies and locusts!
It aims sowei indeed good, but it is not very much in their terrarium ... .
Is that bad?
Almost two days I could, I think, feel something near their cloaca.
What do you mean how long is about already pregnant?
I should now prefer to hold, individually or can I do with the little man in a terrarium to keep together?

Ich kann nur ein bischen Deutsche zur sprechen. Aber, ist "aims sowei" Deutsch? Ich verstehe zie nicht. Vielleicht "aims sowei" ist "typo error"?

I kept my girls each in a separate cage while gravid. But I do not know if it makes a difference.

I have for 2 days feel on her cloaca an egg or so... I think.
What do you think how long is she gravid?
Can the female and male at 37°C at the day out?
In the shadow is it 28°C-30°C!
Is this ok for the chameleons?

I have for 2 days feel on her cloaca an egg or so... I think.
What do you think how long is she gravid?
Can the female and male at 37°C at the day out?
In the shadow is it 28°C-30°C!
Is this ok for the chameleons?

No No No. too hot.

About 23-24c at the max for ambient temperature, with very low wattage (25W) household bulb used for basking (set in a far corner of the cage). A shade temperature of 28-30c could do them grave harm. That is my opinion from experience with watching where they choose to sit in their cages. They choose very cool spots for most of the day.

Good... .

Then come my pfefferis not out, they are in the house.
The female move not so much on the day, maybe it´s to warm from her?

Yes, but she sit so much of her plant or under the lamp and do nothing!
And the male pfefferi every move. He move so much... .

If I make the doors open from my terrarium he comes fast on my hand... .
What do you belive how long is she pregnant?
If it´s not so hot in the outside, can I take my female and sit her out or not?
I mean, the original sun is very better for her... .

If I make the doors open from my terrarium he comes fast on my hand... .
What do you belive how long is she pregnant?
If it´s not so hot in the outside, can I take my female and sit her out or not?
I mean, the original sun is very better for her... .

It's really impossible to tell how pregnant she is because those little girls can carry 5 eggs - or 10 eggs! Or somewhere in between. Her bulk will depend on how many eggs she's carrying. With 10 eggs in her she will almost look as wide as she is long. And she will sit still most of the time because her girth makes her so clumsy.

A little bit she walk short about her terrarium, but the rest of the day she sit only in a plant and do nothing, but she is green!
Can I give her every day food or not?

I will sit the female at Tuesday and Wednesday in the outside and it should rain in the afternoon at this days... is this okay for the pfefferis?

When it's over 30 degrees outside I wouldn't put this specie outside. You should search the internet, they are coming from cool mountain area's in Cameroon and are not used to very hot temperatures. They need to sit cooler and with higher humidity than most other chameleons.

Make sure your female can lay her eggs, give her enough calcium and good UVB. Put her outside again when it's at least below 30 degrees outside. I would also just leave her alone untill she laid her eggs. They both look better than a few days before so keep it up!

Hello,

today and tomorrow should be it 37°C!
Then the pfefferis are in.
But at Tuesday and Wednesday should be 29°C-31°C with much rain, sun and it´s a little bit stormy.
Can they then out?

Ezzie: Do you know why walk my pfefferi female not so much?
She sit only on a plant and do nothing!
Only she has hungry or I spray in the terrarium then she move a little bit!

Back
Top Bottom