Trimming Claws?

BlueSky

Hey all!
Just wondering, has anyone taken any effort to trim their cham's claws?
I'm asking because I often take Jabba with me for educational herpetology events/shows, which means he's walking around on me and other people sometimes. It was no problem when he was younger, but he's grown so much, and his claws have gotten so sharp they're leaving punctures and scratches all over my arms if I don't wear long sleeves when handling him!!
I bought some sandpaper perch covers (intended for birds lol) to see if they would dull them a bit, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there a safe way to file them down a little bit?

Thanks!
Blue

Thanks for the responses, guys!
After a little googling it does seem like the nails don't grow back, but they do wear down over time! Sounds like I'll just have to wait awhile, and they'll start dulling naturally. (Just putting this up here for anyone in the future who has the same question as me!)

Please do not do it! Very unsafe! Doing so will increase the risk for infection to your chameleons feet and increase their risk for falling from perches in their cage and getting hurt in the process!!!
With the whole infection thing, does the nail have a blood vessel or whatever, for example the quick from a dog nail? Or can a infection infiltrate another way threw a broken/ cut nail?

With the whole infection thing, does the nail have a blood vessel or whatever, for example the quick from a dog nail? Or can a infection infiltrate another way threw a broken/ cut nail?

Yes, it has the same structure as a dog nail with a living quick and a blood supply. Infection can get in many ways, usually through a tiny cut or injury to the skin.

@BlueSky The sand perches are a really bad idea. It is too abrasive for the bottom of the foot. You are setting yourself up for a nasty infection on the sole of the foot. That type of infection is very very common.

I trim the hypodermic needles that mine produce once a year. However unlike the beardies, they do not need nail trimmings.

As for the other posts... Its a nail, its got a quick, if you trim too close you can nick it and cause it to bleed.

But again i only trim the extra pointly spot, not down close to the quick like a dog or a dragon.

https://www.natgeocreative.com/photography/1096253

just the pointy part.

Also dont make sand paper perch. The pads will get irritated.

I find that if you have a variety of things for your chams to climb on they will dull their claws them selves! My males claws are duller than the females for sure because they climb on the screening a good deal and the females don't so ya I think they have sharper claws which sometimes feels like they are close to being able to puncture the skin! I also provide real woods and the rough artificial vines as well.

Back
Top Bottom