Tried & True Chameleon Menus w/ Details

Zanish

Hello everyone. Rather than just taking bits of info from many different threads & trying to put together my own menu, I would greatly appreciate if some of the experienced keepers would list and itemize their feeding schedules. As in days of the week to feed which type of feeder, the best way to order them & keep them alive until used, and their preferred gutloads. Basically, I would like to know exactly how some of you have perfected the art of feeding to be as cost & nutritionally effective as possible. I'm tired of wasting money on unused insects, and I;m sure many of you folks have it down to a science by now. Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone. Rather than just taking bits of info from many different threads & trying to put together my own menu, I would greatly appreciate if some of the experienced keepers would list and itemize their feeding schedules. As in days of the week to feed which type of feeder, the best way to order them & keep them alive until used, and their preferred gutloads. Basically, I would like to know exactly how some of you have perfected the art of feeding to be as cost & nutritionally effective as possible. I'm tired of wasting money on unused insects, and I;m sure many of you folks have it down to a science by now. Thanks in advance!

So you're saying, rather than looking anything up that's already been stated on these forums...you want experienced members to come and re-state everything just for you in this thread? ;):confused:

Okay okay, I'll be helpful. Sandrachameleon has long been a helpful resource on these forums. She regularly posts data on gutload items and makes suggestions from a solid understanding.

Here is what her panther chameleons ate this March.

If you'd like even more info, I'd suggest reading her blog entries.

Last edited:
So you're saying, rather than looking anything up that's already been stated on these forums...you want experienced members to come and re-state everything just for you in this thread? ;):confused:

Rather, Not just for me, for all the new folks. I have searched, and found mostly incomplete information, little bits of partial diets. Most missing key components especially in the areas I have specifically mentioned above. They tend to leave out something. When/where to order, costs / how to keep them till the re-order, which combination works for them ( days of week / amounts ordered / ect ) I'm not asking for much from anyone here, and I believe many people would benefit from this thread. Forgive me for requesting those with this extensive knowledge to share it in one complete thread. The in-depth details I'm asking for would likely only come from those with several yrs experience, and would immensely help new folks from sifting through tons of small pieces. If you know of this thread someplace else, containing COMPLETE dietary schedules ( as found in a nursing home environment, where it is detailed down to ordering, keeping, menu, ect) PLz direct me, and TY for your response.

Great idea, also then if some one was to not feed their chameleon enough, to much, not enough gut loading etc. they can be helped and given advice! Xx

The thing is, what works for one chameleon in one situation may not necessarily be the ideal diet for another chameleon in a different situation. It depends on a lot of factors, especially if we're coming down to supplementing, amount of food, feeding frequency, etc. Even within the same species these things would differ between the sexes. So it's not a simple answer.

This resource definitely provides a good platform to start: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
If outlines the best feeders and the best types of food to use for gutloading.

You can order bugs confidently from any of the forum sponsors, they will all sell insects in bulk and ship them to your door. A good tip is to order a size smaller than you really need, so that they do not outgrow your pet in the weeks you may have these insects and so that they live longer.

Superworms are an awesome back-up feeder to have. Very low maintenance and they live for months. Roaches are the most cost effective and nutritious feeder to breed yourself, so it's worth investing in a colony of something like dubia or discoid roaches.

How you keep the feeders you buy will depend on what you have. Typically, a large plastic tote with proper air supply (like screened-over panels on the top and sides) and lots of egg crate. Then just feed with the recommended gutloads and keep it clean. The cleaner things are the fewer feeders you will lose.

I forget if the resource link mentions it, but there are many great commercial gutloads as well. Repashy Superload and BugBurger, Cricket Crack, Dinofuel, etc. Many of the forum sponsors have at least one of these for sale. These could substitute fruits and veggies completely if you don't have time or it's just one of those days, but for the dry mixes you'll still need to provide the bugs with water.
___

And now, as for me personally, on a normal week I will rotate around crickets, 2-3 different roach species, and superworms. At least once a month I will order in hornworms and/or butterworms as well and mix them in. The amounts vary depending on whether I'm feeding my huge Meller's or one of my baby panther girls, so I couldn't give you a set schedule. But I mix aorund the 5 staple feeders so that they're always getting something different.

A Set schedule that works for one keeper and their chameleon(s) will not always work for another. It is impossible for someone to write a "complete" schedule and have it work for every other chameleon keeper. You will need to take the time to research all of the components that you are interested in and look at the general guidelines we suggest and determine/test what works best for your situation. I could tell you every single feeder I use, where I get them, how much they cost, supplementing, etc. and it might not work for you one bit. In fact, most of my chameleons, even those of the same species, age, sex, and even clutch are frequently fed and supplemented on different schedules. I have some that can/will eat every day and not have issues while I also have one that I can only feed 1-2 times a week because he gets fat if I feed him more often/feeders.

I'll second that https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/ is a very worthwhile read.
On the tabs on the left side of that page are links to other informative pages.

The key points to feeding chams are not to overfeed or underfeed--the caresheets have some guidance on that--use a variety of feeders, feed the feeders a nutritious diet and follow a recommended supplement schedule.
Overdoing it with supplements is as bad as not giving them often enough.

Keep in mind that some chams don't like some foods and you'll have to work a bit harder to ensure they eat a broad enough variety of feeders.

Back
Top Bottom