Tried every bug and won't eat!

katelynpc

So my chameleon has been having eye issues for about a month now. He is on meds and he is getting better and has been to the vet a couple of times when first starting the treatment he was voracious and I couldn't get him to stop eating now he turns his nose up at everything! I've tried dubais, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, and crickets. He has also been shedding for a couple of weeks and tht seems to be when he started getting picky. Is this possibly a side effect of stress from the eye treatments? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

He may not be eating because he is shedding. It can make them itchy and uncomfortable. Try to raise the humidity to help him shed faster.

Check his basking limb temperature, if it is low, he will stop eating.

Sometimes a basking branch slips down, or more often, the bulb you put in last was too small a wattage, or burned out.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Last edited:
His basking is at 88-90. He is misted three times a day so he seems to get plenty of water. He is on eye drops, but we went to the vet today and he does not have an infection. We just need to keep the eye open.

Fruit flies may be worth a shot! Even when my cham is being picky, she will go nuts hunting fruit flies...and it's very entertaining to watch! :)

How old is he and how much did you feed him? I had hunger strikes all the time when I started. I'd feed them as much as they wanted -10, 15 crickets a day or more. They'd stop eating for weeks at a time. I was frustrated.

now, I keep them perpetually hungry. Excellent body condition, thin but not skinny at all. Just not fat. I feed every other day, only a few bugs each time. They never refuse food. Maybe the jacksonii do... still new to their own weird behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom