Trees from the states.

svatch

I've looked through most of the non-toxic plants for chameleon enclosures, but was wondering about small trees that are common in the US. Has anyone ever used an oak tree, or maple, or apple tree? Has anyone used grape vines as well. I'm going to build a few outdoor cages this winter and was thinking of going the cheap route for plants. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what plants and trees are safe, that grow and are common in the US.

I think the main problem with most trees from the states are the sap they have. I have some grapes growing in my yard and I cant see them as much of a problem. The only thing with those is all the different bugs they attract, hardshell beetles and what not.

I can't picture any of those being noxious in any way that would affect a chameleon; many parts of oaks, including leaves, can be high in tannins, but the worst I could foresee is a chameleon munching a leaf, encountering the astringent tannin, dropping the leaf in disgust and looking for a palate-cleansing bug.
I haven't tried live grapevines (sometimes they can be VERY sappy/oozy/viscous if wounded); we have two grapevine wreaths that have been highly appreciated by a succession of chameleons.

I highly suggest using madrone. I gather fallen branches around here, sterilize and throw them in to the cages. They are a very hard, attractive rot resistant wood. They are related to the manzanita trees and sort of look like azalea and rhodies.

I highly suggest using madrone. I gather fallen branches around here, sterilize and throw them in to the cages. They are a very hard, attractive rot resistant wood. They are related to the manzanita trees and sort of look like azalea and rhodies.

Can these be used live?

I use grape plants in my outdoor cages. Foilage and shade in the warm months, Branches and leaf drop in the cold months for more sunlight and warmth. Not to mention Veils will eat the grapes :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom