Tree branches?

So I was doing some yard work and trimming tree branches. I found a branch that would work very well in my guys enclosure. What would I have to do in order to make sure it is safe and clean to put it in the cage? Would i have to shave off the bark and put in in bleach? Or something else?

So I was doing some yard work and trimming tree branches. I found a branch that would work very well in my guys enclosure. What would I have to do in order to make sure it is safe and clean to put it in the cage? Would i have to shave off the bark and put in in bleach? Or something else?
That's what we did boil the stocks works fine

If there's fresh sap oozing from the cuts, just scrub it off or wait until it dries. I just give branches a scrub with a hot water/bleach solution, rinse until I can't smell the bleach, and let dry. All you really need to get rid of is active rot, fungi, boring insects, serious dirt, or bird poop.

I generally only scrub in the shower with hot water when I 1st bring the branch into the house but when I do clean the branches during their monthly enclosure cleaning I use vinegar and water. I don't like using bleach or and chemicals in my terrariums.

I used 1:20 bleach/water solution to soak overnight, then scraped the barked off, then baked them in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. They work great, and these were dead branches. The soaking and baking seemed to harden them.

There is no benefit to removing the bark. Also don't use dead branches. Use fresh live cut branches. The bleach/water solution is plenty to clean the branches.

I removed the bark since the soaking made some of it flake off. The branches had recently falen off the oak trees, and the portions used were not rotted. Here is the result:
BDBE5786-684A-491E-831F-0974092C01D6_zpsmzzt6nfu.jpg

DO A VISUAL INSPECTION FOR ANY LOOSE BITS OR MOLD BRUSH OFF AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO

you crack me up, my hubby thought i was so weird for doing this with dirt.
Pro tip for sterilizing soil for plant or cham use. Don't bake it. Put it in a cooler with a bottom drain boil a bunch of water and pour it in. Close the kid and walk away for a day. This will make it super wet and require some drying but if you do it ahead of time it is by far the most effective method to use without a giant steamer. Soil need to be atleast 150-160 degrees for atleast an hour to destroy seeds pathogens and small eggs in soil. I have sterilized THOUSANDS of cubic feet of soil and substrate for plant and oyster mushroom cultivation over years

Back
Top Bottom