Treating Wood?

m1ndless

I just picked up 8 wood posts for my new enclosure, what is the best way to treat it? I asked the guy at HD but he seemed clueless.

What would be the best protectent for the wood since I will be misting? Can I just paint the wood or do I need to seal it too or what?

I bought some black latex paint for the wood, will this work?

Oil based paint will seal the wood better than latex paint. I've also used penetrating oil waterproofing products that work well, but they do yellow a bit.

Alright, I will take this paint back and look for something better. How exactly do I waterproof the wood then?

use a sealer rated for indoor out door use. what ever you use put on thick and let it gas-out for at least a week.( air out till you cant smell fumes any more. I use air mover at one end of my garage and let dry for 6-10 days.) stay away from polyurethane it tends to peel. enamel or laquer are better for moisture resistance.the longer you can let it dry the better with any product.

I finished a tank for my buddy's iguana about a year ago. Stained the wood, then gave it three or four coats of verathane to seal it (let it dry between coats) and let it sit for 5 days in my garage. Thing's showing no sign of damage yet.

I finished a tank for my buddy's iguana about a year ago. Stained the wood, then gave it three or four coats of verathane to seal it (let it dry between coats) and let it sit for 5 days in my garage. Thing's showing no sign of damage yet.

What is verathane? A brand or a type of paint or what?

I want a black frame or dark green, so should I paint then use verathane or what?

Verathane is a brand of polyurathane. Don't use it if you plan on painting the wood, it will peel like Grizz said. I personally prefer a wood finish on my cages so Verathane works fine for me.

Anykind of paint that you put on will have a chance to peal sooner or later. I prefer some kind of stain/sealer as there really is no chance of pealing. there are a whole bunch brands some are better than others. Look for some thing with Low VOC's and outdoor use.

Hope that helps

OPI

Back
Top Bottom