Treating mouth rot

CharlieRae

Can mouth rot be treated with betadine? The only vet in my area that will see chameleons really doesnt know anything. Im in Wyoming.
My husbandry is the cause, my hygrometer apparently took a nose dive & my humidity has been below 10% for who knows how long. Im trying to attach a video of his mouth but its being difficult.

I had to get still frames from the video. Sorry for the poor quality, It wont let me upload an MP4 file. The yellow was not there before & it is cheesy. He also gets a bunch of nasty junk in his lips that I have been cleaning out. He has lost the ability to really shoot his tongue. It's once in a while that he can do it.
He is not star gazing or breathing abnormally or gasping or crackling when he breaths.

Attachments

• jupiter1.jpg
    jupiter1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 69
  • jupiter2.jpg
    jupiter2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 75
You can see his bottom lip slightly protruding from the top. It was never like this before.
He is hungry, but can barely eat. He is drinking water, still.

Attachments

• IMG_20220301_204322_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220301_204322_hdr.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20220301_204320_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220301_204320_hdr.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220301_204312_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220301_204312_hdr.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220301_204307_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220301_204307_hdr.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 68
If you have no other options from a vet and all is lost you can try rubbing virgin coconut oil on infected area. The reason I'm saying this is because my neighbor has gangrene on his legs from diabetes and his medication stopped working so he started rubbing virgin cold pressed coconut oil on the infection and now for 2 weeks and counting the infection is subsiding. Almost gone. I mean if there is no other option and its life threatening it can't hurt to try. Hope your buddy gets better. I'm not even sure this will help.

Mouth rot can sometimes/rarely be treated at home...if it's in the very early stage....but almost always, it's necessary to clean the area out because chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese and not easily penetrated so that the bacteria can be killed. The usual bacteria is Pseudomonas aeruginosa and also difficult to get rid of because it's an opportunist and sneaks back in.

Mouth rot can sometimes/rarely be treated at home...if it's in the very early stage....but almost always, it's necessary to clean the area out because chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese and not easily penetrated so that the bacteria can be killed. The usual bacteria is Pseudomonas aeruginosa and also difficult to get rid of because it's an opportunist and sneaks back in.
Is there anything in particular I need to ask when finding a vet to make sure they actually know how to treat chameleons?

Back
Top Bottom