Traveling with Chameleon

emma_5774

Hi! early in june my baby ambilobe panther passed due to terminal illness but i recently got a nosey faly panther to help with the grieving process. He is 6 months old and loves to eat! when we got him he was about 65 grams and now hes 85! he has been with me for about 3 weeks. We are driving to virgina. I keep him in a carrier and cover it with a blanket and i place it on a heating pad so he doesnt get too cold. should i feed him while traveling? i dont have access to his bugs during the car ride. How late can they be fed? I always get scared to feed him after 4pm because i heard they can get too cold at night and wont be able to digest and i dont want any health issues. any advice with traveling and stuff like that would also be appreciated!
ADCD8AAA-80CF-4B61-9398-F81F445F0430.jpeg
B591E110-DB1F-45E6-B336-F1462537EE51.jpeg
7A6AC1CC-F227-478C-B99E-B30D85503D87.jpeg
E507B534-329F-41DC-95E0-7A6B85069C63.jpeg
BE38280A-9A5F-4ECE-B3F2-524A99E6440D.jpeg

Attachments

• 51C48EBD-286D-4FD0-AA39-DBEF9A725D7D.jpeg
    51C48EBD-286D-4FD0-AA39-DBEF9A725D7D.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 68
Very good looking cham. I feed my veiled in the morning around 8 as the temps rises also mine wants to go to sleep around 5-6 pm. Hope you are feeling better the loss of a friend is hard.

You said..."I dont have access to his bugs during the car ride...where are you keeping the bugs during the trip?

You said...."I keep him in a carrier and cover it with a blanket and i place it on a heating pad so he doesnt get too cold"...what are you using for a heat pad and where are you placing it? Under the carrier? Beside the carrier? On top of it?

How long will he be covered up in the carrier?

You said..."I dont have access to his bugs during the car ride...where are you keeping the bugs during the trip?

You said...."I keep him in a carrier and cover it with a blanket and i place it on a heating pad so he doesnt get too cold"...what are you using for a heat pad and where are you placing it? Under the carrier? Beside the carrier? On top of it?

How long will he be covered up in the carrier?
the bugs stay in the trunk. the trunk is not closed off from the rest of the car so they dont over heat. my dad bought a heating pad online, it plugs into the car, it gets placed on the middle seat and his carrier gets placed on top of it. the heating pad has different settings; warm, low, med, high. it never is on high. the car ride is about 6 hours. he stays covered the entire ride. i check on him every stop we make to make sure it doesnt get too hot. he did good in the car and i ended up giving him a few bugs!

We are in summer months... I would not have a heater pad on him while traveling. It is going to get far too warm. Make sure the carrier is not in the sun in the car either. It will turn into a hot box.
my mom likes to keep the car really cold. the heating pad has different settings and turns off automatically every 30 minutes. the carrier sits in the middle seat and every stop we make i lift up the blanket to check on him. i also put my hand in there to make sure it wasnt too warm. the heating pad is never on the hottest setting for safety. he did good in the ride and at around 5-6pm i offered him a couple bugs that he ate. hes adjusted very well and is eating well!

I wouldn't put the heat pad under the carrier if you do use it if the weather is cold...it can burn their feet. I always put the heat pack on the side of the carrier the chameleon was in...and always had some material in between it and the carrier.

As for the feeding...if he's going to be in a dark carrier, he will likely sleep and not need to be fed during the trip. At that age skipping a day of feeding shouldn't hurt him anyway.

I wouldn't put the heat pad under the carrier if you do use it if the weather is cold...it can burn their feet. I always put the heat pack on the side of the carrier the chameleon was in...and always had some material in between it and the carrier.

As for the feeding...if he's going to be in a dark carrier, he will likely sleep and not need to be fed during the trip. At that age skipping a day of feeding shouldn't hurt him anyway.
the carrier has padding and i also place a towel in the carrier. he also has a branch that he sits on. i make sure he doesnt get too hot.

I simple box with a stick is all you really need. If he can see what's going on just going to stress him and make the move even harder on him.
i have a carrier that has a towel at the bottom and a stick he can sit on! i also cover him with a blanket so he cannot see what is going on. i keep a heating pad on the outside of the carrier on the lowest setting since it is summer! thank you so much!

i have a carrier that has a towel at the bottom and a stick he can sit on! i also cover him with a blanket so he cannot see what is going on. i keep a heating pad on the outside of the carrier on the lowest setting since it is summer! thank you so much!
What temps are you trying to get with the heating pad, and where is it placed? Heating pads usually aren't needed this time of year

Back
Top Bottom