Transporting chams?

SS4Luck

Established Member
Im moving to Michigan on Friday and wondering how I should get my babies there with me. Im making the drive and expect it to take 3 days (2300 miles averaging 800 miles a day). Is it something I can make like a styrofoam cooler with perches and fake leaves in and just mist them once or twice a day and make sure temps stay okay? Or get petri dishes and keep them in there in a box? Should I see if a friend can watching them for the weekend and send them to me Monday??

Help?

i think for low stress i would say send them but you could make a mic shift cage and feed and mist like normal and they should be fine just make sure if the fall they dont have a long way and have a soft landing

I just moved my 3 from philly to Seattle last January, I bought 3 of the medium sized Exo terra pop up cages, put a large plant and vines in the middle. these cages even have a plastic liner on the outside of the bottoms, and packed lots of mister bottles in the car. I did get pulled over in Wisconsin "oh so that's what those are". When I rolled down the window, he was face to face with one of my chams. of course, I adjusted the car temps according to the cham needs and not mine.

I just moved my 3 from philly to Seattle last January, I bought 3 of the medium sized Exo terra pop up cages, put a large plant and vines in the middle. these cages even have a plastic liner on the outside of the bottoms, and packed lots of mister bottles in the car. I did get pulled over in Wisconsin "oh so that's what those are". When I rolled down the window, he was face to face with one of my chams. of course, I adjusted the car temps according to the cham needs and not mine.

That's awesome!

hiyas congrats on the move, i think i would have the friend watch them till you got there an then ship them to you. takin them along sounds easy enough but on a roadtrip its the unforseen things that become probs i wouldnt want to take the chance with all my guys id ship em..

i think your foam cooler idea is a good one, lots of vines maybe a towel on the bottom and cut out a bis hole in the top and cover with sceen for ventalation.
it will be good for maintaining temps and keep then from gettin alot of visual disractions.
jmo

hoj

I moved my gang from Southern Calif to Montana. They each had small cages, like 16x16x20 well planted. They even went into hotels with us every night. Some hotels knew it and others.......... The trip went fine but I still think I may have lost 2 young panther from the stress. Both died within a week. I did not have the option of mailing them. We moved in November and you don't mail chams to Montana in November.:(

I moved my gang from Tucson to Colorado Springs in the winter. I put them in those pop up butterfly containers (found on ebay). I put a plant in each pop up. We stayed overnight in Albuquerque, which is half way. I brought them into our motel room and misted them. They even ate the crickets I offered them.
In Colorado I got each cham a kritter keeper, put a branch and paper toweling on the bottom. I put each container in a tote bag and covered the top lightly for the return trip to Tucson. They stayed in those until we got to Albuquerque. Once in the hotel, I put them in their pop ups. No problem.
I'll be doing this trip again over the 4th of July. I'll be staying in Colorado for 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom