Transportation?

gracie88

Due to some recent events, I will have to be switching houses quite frequently. I was wondering if there is a good way to be away from a cham for little bit, or if its best for me to take him with while switching? I was thinking of setting up the same enclosure he has now at the new place so he will have two and I can bring him with me when I switch houses, is this a good idea? He trusts me a lot and I think having some kind of transportation-plant to take him in the car with me would maybe be good. I am just so reluctent to do this because he would have to be in the car and that could cause stress but I wouldn't be able to leave him for that long of time and so frequently. I'm sorry if this sounds weird I just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on whats best to do in the situation, if he trusts me and I set up a plant/stick transportation system would it be bad for me to take him with me? He would only have to be in the car for like 15 minutes max at a time but like I mentioned before I am so reluctent to do this because of the stress caused. ☹️☹️

Geez, are we talking about a joint custody situation? :unsure:

I wouldn't be worried as much about the car as I would the relocation stress every time you switched, and I have no idea if he'd get used to that.

You didn't mention how long between switches or for how long this will be going on for.
Will your time be split evenly, or more time at one location than the other?

I think (and it's just my opinion) that I'd try to leave him in one location or the other (whichever you'll be at the most), and arrange for someone to care for him during absences.

I hope this can get worked out!

2 cages is fine if its an established cham. Else its going to be like you are cleaning and rearranging the cage every time you move, which for some can stress them out because they have to find favorite spots and sleeping spots again.

For transportation id just use a pet carrier with a towel at the bottom and a multi limbed stick so it doesnt roll.

Or just get a shoe box and shove some sticks through it, thats what most of us do, but they dont last very long...

Geez, are we talking about a joint custody situation? :unsure:

I wouldn't be worried as much about the car as I would the relocation stress every time you switched, and I have no idea if he'd get used to that.

You didn't mention how long between switches or for how long this will be going on for.
Will your time be split evenly, or more time at one location than the other?

I think (and it's just my opinion) that I'd try to leave him in one location or the other (whichever you'll be at the most), and arrange for someone to care for him during absences.

I hope this can get worked out!

Yeah, unfortunatly we are. Sorry this seems a bit vague, this just started but I thought I would rather have a plan for Cosmo sooner than later. I was planning of setting up the two enclosures the EXACT same way so he doesn't even notice a difference hopefully. I don't know how long I would be switching for talking time periods but this will be going on for basically his whole life span. I hope if we can get the two houses situation figured out, the best option would be if I switched super often I could leave him at one house and wouldn't have to worry. My time is technically supposed to be split evenly but my schedule won't be super restricted so I have A LOT of wiggle room. In reality, my time might not even be split evenly. I thought about leaving him but for not being with him and having to have someone care for him honestly breaks my heart after all of the work I did to gain his trust and stuff. Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited:
2 cages is fine if its an established cham. Else its going to be like you are cleaning and rearranging the cage every time you move, which for some can stress them out because they have to find favorite spots and sleeping spots again.

For transportation id just use a pet carrier with a towel at the bottom and a multi limbed stick so it doesnt roll.

Or just get a shoe box and shove some sticks through it, thats what most of us do, but they dont last very long...

Yeah I can totally see that. I was planning on setting up the enclosures the EXACT same so he wouldn't notice. If I had to transport him it would only depend on the amount of time he would be gone each time. I really hope I am able to switch often so I can just leave him at one house and it wouldn't matter because of the short time I'm away. Thank you for the suggestions and help, I greatly appreciate it!

Yeah, unfortunatly we are. Sorry this seems a bit vague, this just started but I thought I would rather have a plan for Cosmo sooner than later. I was planning of setting up the two enclosures the EXACT same way so he doesn't even notice a difference hopefully. I don't know how long I would be switching for talking time periods but this will be going on for basically his whole life span. I hope if we can get the two houses situation figured out, the best option would be if I switched super often I could leave him at one house and wouldn't have to worry. My time is technically supposed to be split evenly but my schedule won't be super restricted so I have A LOT of wiggle room. In reality, my time might not even be split evenly. I thought about leaving him but for not being with him and having to have someone care for him honestly breaks my heart after all of the work I did to gain his trust and stuff. Thank you so much for the help!
Don't apologize; you're stuck between a rock & a hard place of personal business vs. trying to do the right thing.

Optimistically, these animals are individuals, and with thinking this through & planning ahead of time as you are (which IMO deserves considerable approbation), Cosmo may be able to adapt and do fine.

I know you're going to have your hands full (and then some), but if you can find time to memorialize your experiences with Cosmo in this respect, they could prove an invaluable boon to other folks in similar situations. ?

All the best.

I think it comes down to is the parent your leaving him with willing to take care of him the way he needs. Food, supplementing, making sure he is being misted, fogging, spot cleaning...

If you properly plan for two cages and everything for both then 15 minutes in a car is nothing for him. However IMO they are creatures of habit so I do not know what kind of stress it will cause. I suppose it depends on how frequently your going from one place to the other... If only on weekends then leaving him home may be best. But if your going for the summer well that is a different situation.

Sorry your going through this... I hope it is a smooth happy transition for you. ❤

I think it comes down to is the parent your leaving him with willing to take care of him the way he needs. Food, supplementing, making sure he is being misted, fogging, spot cleaning...

If you properly plan for two cages and everything for both then 15 minutes in a car is nothing for him. However IMO they are creatures of habit so I do not know what kind of stress it will cause. I suppose it depends on how frequently your going from one place to the other... If only on weekends then leaving him home may be best. But if your going for the summer well that is a different situation.

Sorry your going through this... I hope it is a smooth happy transition for you. ❤

I agree 100%, luckily one of my parents has done really well in learning what to do with him when I'm away so I hope I am able to just leave him with them. The stress part of this is exactly what I'm worried about. In reality, these precious animals already dont live super long, and all of the possible stress that could cause could do a lot of damage to his lifespan. I don't know how long I will be at each place for sure, but its looking like switching once a week. Because of this, I am thinking I am just going to leave him in one spot and set up everything so my more knowledgable parent can take care of him. Thank you so much for the help, it means so much especially in this kind of crazy situation ?

Don't apologize; you're stuck between a rock & a hard place of personal business vs. trying to do the right thing.

Optimistically, these animals are individuals, and with thinking this through & planning ahead of time as you are (which IMO deserves considerable approbation), Cosmo may be able to adapt and do fine.

I know you're going to have your hands full (and then some), but if you can find time to memorialize your experiences with Cosmo in this respect, they could prove an invaluable boon to other folks in similar situations. ?

All the best.

Thank you so much for your help and kindness in this crazy situation. I think I might be able to just leave Cosmo at one house which I am thrilled about. I am going to miss him when I'm away but I know we will get through this, he is my best friend and his care comes first. Once again, thank you so much for the help, it means a lot!

Back
Top Bottom