Translucents

Ta2Smitty

Avid Member
Hello everyone I’m trying to get a feel for what folks think about translucent veileds do you like them or not?

People tend to be pretty split. Either they like them or they don't. I've heard those that don't like them say they look like burn victims. I, personally, think they're pretty cool.
Yeah I like them to just trying to figure out if it’d be worth it to offer them?

My thought process is I get a high male and normal female I’ll end up with a mix of both to offer? Win-win

Hello everyone I’m trying to get a feel for what folks think about translucent veileds do you like them or not?
Generally speaking, all that should matter is whether you like them or not.
Personally, I think they look creepy. I like chameleons (among other things) for their color-changing ability. Translucence defeats that.

Yeah I like them to just trying to figure out if it’d be worth it to offer them?
Does this mean you're considering breeding them? I've never understood peoples' fascination with morphs; it's "flavor of the week" stuff. Some people quickly get bored with that, are constantly looking for the next thing, and have to be the first kid on the block to get one—until the next one comes along.

I've always been of the opinion that just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should.

Breeding morphs has pretty much ruined the bearded dragon gene pool. It's virtually impossible to find a beardie that doesn't have one or more morphs; you can't find a "classic" or "standard" (no morphs) anymore. I think it would be sad if that happened to chameleons as well.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, all that should matter is whether you like them or not.
Personally, I think they look creepy. I like chameleons (among other things) for their color-changing ability. Translucence defeats that.

Does this mean you're considering breeding them? I've never understood peoples' fascination with morphs; it's "flavor of the week" stuff. Some people quickly get bored with that, are constantly looking for the next thing, and have to be the first kid on the block to get one—until the next one comes along.

I've always been of the opinion that just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should.

Breeding morphs has pretty much ruined the bearded dragon gene pool. It's virtually impossible to find a beardie that doesn't have one or more morphs; you can't find a "classic" or "standard" (no morphs) anymore. I think it would be sad if that happened to chameleons as well.
Also, translucent were originally found in the wild.

I used to find them to be quiet odd and creepy looking... Until I found my boy at petco. I am actually quite fascinated with him. The way the color patterns keep changing. Totally pink skin that later develops black or white... Also the colors that he has been firing up are quite different then my two other Veiled boys. So it has been very interesting to see how he develops.

The morph argument gets tricky. Ultimately all the genetics came from the wild. Some things like albinism are not harmful. Once they start stacking the genes or reproducing genetics with known problems, or when only one has been found making a very weak gene pool. This is when it becomes irresponsible but they are still doing it to dogs, so herps have it pretty rough.
I was happy to see that some of the biggest European reptile shows are now no longer allowing some morphs to be sold. Specifically the spider morph in ball pythons, I think the snow leopard gecko? one of them anyway, with jaguar carpet lined up to be next. These morphs have knows neurological issues.

I like some morphs, but If it is not responsible I don't support it.

One thing I always wonder, is that we know the veiled gene pool is very shallow. There is the original lines brought in by Petr, past that it gets gray as to how much genetic diversity there is. We have trans, that is said to come from a wild specimen. Meaning there are other lineage in our midst. As far as I know there is no way to identify this. Except in Trans. A trans Cham must carry genetics outside the original lineage.
So does this mean it may be good to have a trans in your breeding as it is more likely to carry "fresh genetics".

You said "These morphs have knows neurological issues"....can you give some examples of what issues?

They call it star gazing, or wobble. In Wobble they can not seem to hold their head still and can seem disoriented as they may roll like they don't know which way is up. It can occur to different degrees but is always associated with the spider morph. In the Jajuar carpet python morph is similar, but interesting be cause from what I can under stand is that if you make the right pairings you get the morph, but it is on the edge of flawed. If that snake is bred and produces a Jag, it is likely to have the disorder. breeding 2 Jag morphs together makes it such that the babies will not survive.
The star gazing is use more to describe the disorder in lizards. The Snow leopard gecko, if that is the right morph, displays the condition by staring into space, and some times circling.

They call it star gazing, or wobble. In Wobble they can not seem to hold their head still and can seem disoriented as they may roll like they don't know which way is up. It can occur to different degrees but is always associated with the spider morph. In the Jajuar carpet python morph is similar, but interesting be cause from what I can under stand is that if you make the right pairings you get the morph, but it is on the edge of flawed. If that snake is bred and produces a Jag, it is likely to have the disorder. breeding 2 Jag morphs together makes it such that the babies will not survive.
The star gazing is use more to describe the disorder in lizards. The Snow leopard gecko, if that is the right morph, displays the condition by staring into space, and some times circling.
If there is no evidence of this in translucents, I see no problem with breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom