Translucent-calyptratus?

i think its disqusting how people put money into the pockets of these idiots. they dont care about the animals welfare, just about money. Aseveyone has said this poor creature must have alot going wrong inside

A lot of information has been gained from the controlled breeding of this morph in the two years since this thread and most of these opinions expressed were made. It does not seem that this defect is harmful to captive individuals and the breeding efforts have been done carefully with out-crossing to wild caught bloodlines to strengthen them. We've also learned a lot about the inheritance as well.

Chris

I just read through all the posts in this thread and would just like to point something out.

Mutations occur in the wild, and usually for a reason. If mutations did not occur, evoulution couldn't either, and therefore even humans could not exist.

Even the cham we know and love today is a mutation of something =]

Maybe the reason these chams started to get this lack of pigmentation is because they do not require as much UVB and are spending much more time in the darker areas. I know this seems unlikely but it could happen.

Just wanted to point this out =]
Am currently studying Biology in college and have just finished learning of mutation, evolution etc. so I dont think im making this up xD

I may be wrong in the reasoning of their pigment loss, so dont hate me if I am :eek:

Emma x

I have also read all the varying opinions and ideas in this thread. I am not a biologist or purist nor do I even know much about genetics. This seems very similar to the debate about whether or not to cross different locales of panthers. :rolleyes:

I think that there should be both. There should be some people striving to retain the pure form of a locale or type / colouration of chameleon. But I also find the crosses and mutations very interesting. As long as the cross or mutation doesn't make the outcome less likely to survive and is not sold as a PURE STRAIN whatever then I don't see a problem with it.

I find the translucent chams rather unique looking but I certainly wouldn't pay an insane amount to own one. As long as it has no physical or nutritional deficiencies then I see no reason not to breed it for it's uniqueness. Most people don't seem to have a problem breeding chams to retain a certain colouring or attribute so how is this different if the cham shows no signs of ill health and is not more susceptible to disease etc.

Anyhow ... that's just my 3 1/2 cents worth!! LOL

Dyesub Dave. :D

I dont understand why everyone gets worked up over translucents.
I should have never posted the link to this thread on my thread about morphs.
They breed morphs in almost every reptile that is available.
Bearded dragons, leapord geckos, pythons, and even frogs.
So, why does the chameleon community need to $hit a chicken over it?
I like them and I would pay a lot of money to own one if not several.

There are color mutations in almost every animal species. Tigers, birds, dogs, cats, rats, chinchillas etc. There are some mutations that are lethal if bred together in certain animals such as chinchillas and some birds. I would say the tanslucents look more to be a "pied" of the veiled gene, so I would not think that there would be an issue with that. I would love to know how the breeding program goes with them! Very interesting! I think people are afraid of the unknown is all ;)

Last edited:
Hey Justin ... I'm glad you did post the link. :) I hadn't seen one of these before and may not have for a while without your link. Everybody's going to have their own opinion over what's right or wrong and acceptable or not etc.

It looks like these transluscents are here to stay and hopefully I will get to see one in person some time. Heck ... maybe one of my baby veileds that are currently hatching will have some interesting trait like this. A healthy cham that eats and grows well and flourishes in the environment we provide is a great thing ... and if it has some interesting colours or attributes that make it unique then even better.

Thanks for showing me these chams!! :cool:

Dyesub Dave. :D

Wow this thread is really old....and it seems that a lot of people have changed their minds about translucent animals since then...what a remarkable thing scientific discoveries are, right?

These are called "Translucent Veileds". FLCham had a bunch of them at Repticon Fire last week and also on their website. The translucency is a genetic characteristic found sparingly, however some people have chosen to breed them as a species variation.

Wow this thread is really old....and it seems that a lot of people have changed their minds about translucent animals since then...what a remarkable thing scientific discoveries are, right?

I haven't changed MY mind about them! Why anyone would select for a colorless variation of an animal cherished for its color and ability to change it is beyond me. They just look dull, diluted, and almost burn-scarred to me. As long as I am able to choose a cham without this trait that's fine.

Yea I can't say I like them either. They look sickly, feeble. While Balls look gorgeous because they get a very clean white, these are just translucent, so it's... weird looking. Not a fan, by any means. But that's ok, we still have plenty of other veiled lines to choose from. Choices!

Back
Top Bottom