Transitioning to a full UVB system with no Dietary D3

I noticed rigid movements that he had never previously displayed. A bit ago he had an issue with his tongue not fully extending so I took him to the vet and they noticed calcium deposits around the tongue. Nothing super crazy, he was fine, eating fine, drinking, no parasites etc. I backed off the d3 and symptoms went away. Im still unsure that it was solely the d3, could have been a vitamin A issue. I unfortunately dont know any vets in the area that are experts on Chameleons lol.

Edit: just your standard ambilobe panther.
Thank you for the report!

I feed my panther mostly crickets dusted with RepCal Calcium without D3 every other day and twice a month with Exo Terra Multivitamin (which has some D3). Reptisun 5.0 T5HO bulbs provide UVI of between 3-4 at his basking spot measured using Solarmeter 6.5. He is 2.5 years old now and has never had any health issues.

I noticed rigid movements that he had never previously displayed. A bit ago he had an issue with his tongue not fully extending so I took him to the vet and they noticed calcium deposits around the tongue. Nothing super crazy, he was fine, eating fine, drinking, no parasites etc. I backed off the d3 and symptoms went away. Im still unsure that it was solely the d3, could have been a vitamin A issue. I unfortunately dont know any vets in the area that are experts on Chameleons lol.

Edit: just your standard ambilobe panther.

Interesting. And it was a Panther too.

So, not quite the same thing, but what about the keepers that do not supplement due to their chameleons being kept outside with natural UVB? With some UV readings there could be some useful info to compare.

Ohio august 23 2013 partly cloudy with sun peaking out behind cloud 11am: 3.0 UVI
Full sun 2pm 5.8 UVI
Full sun 2pm in the shade 1.5 UVI (measured under a few oak trees and bird garden shrubs)

Ohio august 23 2013 partly cloudy with sun peaking out behind cloud 11am: 3.0 UVI
Full sun 2pm 5.8 UVI
Full sun 2pm in the shade 1.5 UVI (measured under a few oak trees and bird garden shrubs)
@nightanole If you Have any other dates recorded, I am interested in them. Seeing as we are just miles apart.

Not sure where your from, but I don’t trust a weatherman/channel period. It boggles my mind how someone can always be so wrong at their job, and still have the job.
I’m from Cali I don’t trust anyone as far as I can throw them and I’m a tiny women sooo I can’t throw far

I have toyed with this idea. I have outdoor cages that I use on weekends for my more outgoing chameleons. I felt like I had my gut load dialed in and have been reducing the number of days per month I use Repash Cal Plus LoD especially in my adult males. I only give them one small dose every two weeks. Unfortunately life has thrown me some curve balls recently and I have not been able to get everyone out reliably and my gut loading has been spotty so I will continue to rely on D3 etc. until I can get back on track. Thanks posting this thread.

Back
Top Bottom