Transbald Veiled - Reptiles Magazine

Scott - Looking at your gallery, it looks like your male has the ability to alter the coloration on his head while the translucents do not where the white and translucent is shown.

Mesnik - Its an inside joke a few friends won't drop and other people are unfortunately picking up.

Chris

ok, an inside joke... I thought he was making some kind of snide remark about you or something. I need to stop reading those old flame wars on Fauna - they got me all paranoid.

Chris Anderson; Mesnik - Its an inside joke a few friends won't drop and other people are unfortunately picking up. Chris[/QUOTE said:
Chris, don't let this stop you from posting good info. Although it is annoying and a waste of space with the "Z's", it is still worth having to sort through them to get good info.
Not everyone is on the same level of expertise and we look to these boards for help.

Keep it coming . . .

Jim

I agree...
So, with my guy, why do you think he has a white head?
As i mentioned before and many people have concurred on this site, we all thought he needed a good "head shed", but this is obviously not the case as he shed last week, had a head shed, which i might say was hilarious to look at, and his head is still white afterwards...
Anyone have any ideas, is there veileds with white heads?
I'm confused more than ever now....
Cheers
Scott.

Chris, don't let this stop you from posting good info. Although it is annoying and a waste of space with the "Z's", it is still worth having to sort through them to get good info.
Not everyone is on the same level of expertise and we look to these boards for help.

Keep it coming . . .

Jim

Sorry, Jim. I didn't mean to be a thorn in your thread.

I'll try to limit my ZZZ's. Yes, Chris is a wealth of information. He is a walking encyclopedia of information, and I am glad he is a part of this wonderful community.

Last edited:
You also have to realize that the trait you're seeing expressed is probably random in the amount of white or "translucent-ness" you see. This is similar to a Pied Ball Python. So, having one animal be more white than another means nothing. It would be interesting to see what happens when you breed one of these animals to a normal and see if it is a het or dominant gene or just consistantly expressed. I'm pretty much willing to bet you aren't going to see a super form of this "morph" though but should be pretty fun to go through the motions and find out. Good luck with the breedings.

Matt,

Based on what I know of the results of translucent breedings so far, it seems like the amount of white you see could very well matter with regard to the genetics. When a high level translucent individual has been bred to a WC normal, about 60% of the offspring showed translucent traits but all were in lesser amounts (relatively equivalent to 50/50 low level to no translucent). When a high level translucent was bred to a low level translucent (just a couple small patches on feet, etc.), 100% showed translucent traits and in about a 50/50 ratio of high to low levels. This indicates that the translucent is likely a co-dominant trait where the high level translucents are supers. In theory then a high to high level translucent cross will result in 100% high level translucents. Guess we have to wait a little longer on that yet but we'll see.

Chris

Josh,

I'm speaking as a member, not as a mod here.

I've known Chris Anderson for almost 10 years now and he's an awesome guy. I'm proud to call him a friend. I've also been there when he's gone off on one his scientific tangents. :rolleyes:

The ZZZZZZZZZ's are funny. I get the joke and laugh at them. But not all the time. Brevity is key. It seems other folks are getting bored of it too.

Trace

Josh,

I've known Chris Anderson for almost 10 years now and he's an awesome guy. I'm proud to call him a friend. I've also been there when he's gone off on one his scientific tangents. :rolleyes:

The ZZZZZZZZZ's are funny. I get the joke and laugh at them. But not all the time. Brevity is key. It seems other folks are getting bored of it too.

Trace

Agreed. Which is why I apologized a few posts back. I'll stick to snoring only when i am with him in person.

It's funny because I actually enjoy Anderson's scientific mumbo-jumbo. I know whenever I have a question I can pick up the phone and call him, which i probably take for granted and subconsciencely think that everyone has the same access to his massive brain.

I'll tone down the ZZZzzz... to when the are warranted. We have so much fun doing this that I sometimes forget everyone isn't me.

Thanks for the response Trace.

Last edited:
So kiddies, now that we all have that off our chests and everyone's kissed and made up....can we get back to Business?
I guess I should start a new thread and not hijak this one, so Chris and everyone else can you reply to my new thread about my guy with the white head...PLEASE?

Love you all, now lets play nice on my thread...see you all there...lol

Cheers
Scott.

Josh,

Trace

The scientific verbal marathons, often lacking emotion, are a hereditary trait.

Chris,
How many clutches have you been able to take a look at? At first when these guys came in, and having seen them at that Expo they were first at, I assumed it was a paradox type trait that would not breed true, so it is very interesting that you could get 60% of a clutch expressing this when bred to a normal. I would definitely have to say it sounds co-dom based on what you've seen. Maybe there can be a super where the entire body is showing the patching. I guess you could call it a Calico if an animal like this is produced. It would be nice to see more breedings though to truely see if these numbers are random and the first guys managed to get lucky with the amount of animals expressing the trait.

I also wonder if maybe this might be caused in incubation. If say the offspring had a trigger to develop this way based on egg temp or whatever and that is why you see such varying degrees of coloration. This is 100% speculation out loud. I have seen Tree Boas develop white patches because (commonly accepted belief) their dam sat under a heating element too long. Maybe the same thing going on to an extent, but probably not. Thoughts?

-Matt

Last edited:
Scotty, I don't think there's anything unusual about or wrong with your veiled. I've seen varying degrees of color in them, particularly the head region. His head seems perfectly normal, and within the normal color range of veileds.

Back
Top Bottom