Traded My Ambilobe for a Nosy Be

MrGonzo123

Hey Cham Forum,

My girlfriend surprised me with a baby male Ambilobe (at least I thought it was a male) for Christmas last year (12-25-12). I raised the Cham with excitement, anticipating the wonderful color patterns. Instead, by months 5-6, I noticed that my Cham would only display bright oranges and an occasionally green patches on top of the head. So I took the cham to the reptile store I bought (her) from and they assured me that it was a male and that I had to be patient. and patient I as until last week when I took my Cham in for further identification. Come to find out I had a female all along. So I traded my female Ambilobe for a male Nosy Be. For some reason, I think that I made a mistake getting a Nosy Be. I truly wanted an Ambilobe, none were available at the time.
What are your thoughts Forum??

Attachments

• Female Ambi.jpg
    Female Ambi.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 478
Hey Cham Forum,

My girlfriend surprised me with a baby male Ambilobe (at least I thought it was a male) for Christmas last year (12-25-12). I raised the Cham with excitement, anticipating the wonderful color patterns. Instead, by months 5-6, I noticed that my Cham would only display bright oranges and an occasionally green patches on top of the head. So I took the cham to the reptile store I bought (her) from and they assured me that it was a male and that I had to be patient. and patient I as until last week when I took my Cham in for further identification. Come to find out I had a female all along. So I traded my female Ambilobe for a male Nosy Be. For some reason, I think that I made a mistake getting a Nosy Be. I truly wanted an Ambilobe, none were available at the time.
What are your thoughts Forum??

First off where did you get it from? And how much did you pay?
Some times you can buy a young panther for an inexpensive price but they will not gaurntee the sex. Since you took yours in and asked them to sex it i can only assume as much the person you talked to is not very expirenced or the reptile store doesn't know squat in general about chameleons. I would have demanded they refund my money or supply a male. It's pretty poor customer service in their part to not have given you what you paid for. If you could please go on to fauna classifieds and post it in the board of inquiries we would all appreciate it-

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

This is a website that any herp keepers rely on when buying from a new source, of course many people on here stick to the site sponsors or reputable people they know from this site.

Can you post pictures of your new Cham?

I wonder if you bought her from the same people who sold me an ambanja that turned out to be a sambava LOL! I love him no matter what he is though.

Being happy with the animal will depend on what you are looking for. I wanted a nice looking boy that was friendly and that is what I got so doesn't matter the locale.

I wonder if you bought her from the same people who sold me an ambanja that turned out to be a sambava LOL! I love him no matter what he is though.

Being happy with the animal will depend on what you are looking for. I wanted a nice looking boy that was friendly and that is what I got so doesn't matter the locale.

Agreed. However it comes down to customer service and their lack of knowledge. That's why writing a report on fauna classifieds is a good idea so people can search the business and read the reviews

Agreed. However it comes down to customer service and their lack of knowledge. That's why writing a report on fauna classifieds is a good idea so people can search the business and read the reviews

Yes, that is good advice as well. The people I bought my panther from just opened a shop recently and do act like they know what they are doing, but it is clear they do not. I do fear for some poor customers. I even sent them an email with care sheets and received a very aggressive and rude reply. I didnt review them on fauna, but probably should.

Yes, that is good advice as well. The people I bought my panther from just opened a shop recently and do act like they know what they are doing, but it is clear they do not. I do fear for some poor customers. I even sent them an email with care sheets and received a very aggressive and rude reply. I didnt review them on fauna, but probably should.

I really hope you have those emails because its very common people will post nasty emails from the stores/ sellers on there and it's surprising to see how horrible some businesses are. This has made me not buy chameleons from a few places. I actually never read them on a local store in my area and I'm really sad I didn't.. I thought I was some what friends with the owner who I talked to every now and then... Come to find out he's sold various reptiles to people who were illegal or half dead. He's also charged by the state of Washington with selling edangred species to the Chinese... He was exporting them wrapped in clothes in a box.. It's seriously sickening... I suggest everyone post good but especially bad reviews on there.

If you are looking for a specific trait in a chameleon, it really is best to purchase from a breeder. A pet shop owner is selling a product, and they are not experts. Even if the animals are well cared for, they still are just one of the many things sold in the shop. A good breeder specializes, so you know what you are getting. A good breeder can also sex a baby panther the day it hatches, but sometimes mistakes happen.

As far as trading, if you like green/blue, then nosy be is a good choice. If your heart is set on red, you won't have that with a nosy be.

honestly i wouldn't be too harsh on the pet store owner they don't know everything about one of their products, as long as the pet was well taken care of it what i look for in a pet store

I really hope you have those emails because its very common people will post nasty emails from the stores/ sellers on there and it's surprising to see how horrible some businesses are. This has made me not buy chameleons from a few places. I actually never read them on a local store in my area and I'm really sad I didn't.. I thought I was some what friends with the owner who I talked to every now and then... Come to find out he's sold various reptiles to people who were illegal or half dead. He's also charged by the state of Washington with selling edangred species to the Chinese... He was exporting them wrapped in clothes in a box.. It's seriously sickening... I suggest everyone post good but especially bad reviews on there.

Olivia, if the people were illegal or 1/2 dead, what's the big deal?;););)

Nick

Sounded funny to me, half-dead people...never seen those around here. OP, I think that the shop gave you a better deal. Nosy-Be Panthers are usually a little more expensive than Ambilobes. Well it's really all depending on how much you paid originally. Let's not get all uppity on the shop-owner, they are trying to make a living after all. I think since they gave you a replacement, I would leave it the issue alone. Just post some pics of the little dude and call it a day. Nosy-Be Panthers are really cool, and they have the best blues.

Sounded funny to me, half-dead people...never seen those around here. OP, I think that the shop gave you a better deal. Nosy-Be Panthers are usually a little more expensive than Ambilobes. Well it's really all depending on how much you paid originally. Let's not get all uppity on the shop-owner, they are trying to make a living after all. I think since they gave you a replacement, I would leave it the issue alone. Just post some pics of the little dude and call it a day. Nosy-Be Panthers are really cool, and they have the best blues.

I'm not saying the shop owner IS a bad person I'm just speaking from personal experience.. Someone I found trust worthy and knowledgeable was a bad person. Just research who you buy from in the future unless try are a site sponsor here they are a guaranteed good seller and person.

i have an ambilobe male and a nosy be female... would it be wrong to mix the species i mean breed em?

Not at all just please don't be irresponsible and sell them as pure bred nosy bes or ambilobe sell them as what they are, Nosy bes x Ambilobe
Some people cross breed and sell the babies as pure bred and ruin peoples breeding plans, destroy blood lines, Its just a terrible mess that really sucks for the person buying them because they dont know the true lineage
-Joseph

Not that I have an issue with it, but many people on here are very much against hybrids because they want to preserve the locales. It's honestly better to just get two of the same locale and breed. You will have a better chance of selling them unless you are looking to breed and keep them all

oh believe me anything that looks beautiful in the philippines sells for a lot of money im probably the only person in my country to be attempting to breed a panther... snakes and turtles are more of the "in thing" here because it is sooo hard to bring in panthers... only one guy i know does and it is illegally because he is the son of a general and he gets away with things because of connections... i only know 3 people with panthers in the whole philippines and both of them just got theirs last week together with mine. hehehe a small number of people have veiled they smuggle in from hongkong or thailand but not panthers... do designer babies look nice? i cant keep the bloodline pure because when i got them i couldnt even choose which locale... whatever is available as long as it's a panther... thats how our blackmarket works sad economy :(

i dont understand how people smuggle chameleons?... well ive never been on a plane or out of the country so i dont know how it works but i would assume with the way the world is crumbling these days there would be a lot of security and bag checks everywhere, which would make bringing a chameleon anywhere kind of impossible?

hahaha everything in the philippines is politics... you can smuggle in cars without paying taxes what more small chameleons... it's kinda like indonesia sad but corrupt... it's all about who you know and who's got your back... you just need connections in the customs office and misdeclare your goods. If the person you know that works there sees your name on the box they will not check the contents and you slip them some money. This guy i know brings in guns too they go thru cargo check in not passenger check in. I think USA doesnt care what goes out of the country just what goes in... He has boxes full of land turtles bule iguanans and a bunch of other pets... it's just stressful to bring in chams first time i dud i ordered 5 juvis he sold me 5 hatchlings 4 died within the week... thats why id never do it again must be sub adults

Back
Top Bottom