Tough decision ?

Alexander1

Avid Member
Hello everyone, I’m looking for advice about my 5 year old veiled Alfred, last week he all of a sudden got ill, he seems to have lost most of his ability to use his arms, he can’t stay up, he has trouble shooting his tongue, he can’t climb up and down to properly thermo regulate. Unfortunately I tested positive for covid and I am currently under quarantine, no vets near my home will see him until my quarantine is over. I’ve been hand feeding him , but he’s just laying in a bin with toilet paper . I don’t know if I should put the poor thing out of its misery at the vet or should I allow them to possibly prolong his life.

Tough position to be in, and I’m sorry to hear about your little guy. I think having a vet confirm what is actually going on is the first step, but depending on how long your quarantine is, the choice might be taken from you. Any chance you could post a pic or two?

Sounds like it might be MBD....but we need photos to see if he has any signs of it.

Also what supplements have you been using and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in the D3, calcium, form of vitamin Aand phos content of each.
What are you feeding/gutloading the insects with?
What UVB light have you been using and have you been changing it as required? Please be specific about all of your answers.

Sounds like it might be MBD....but we need photos to see if he has any signs of it.

Also what supplements have you been using and how often for each? I'm particularly interested in the D3, calcium, form of vitamin Aand phos content of each.
What are you feeding/gutloading the insects with?
What UVB light have you been using and have you been changing it as required? Please be specific about all of your answers.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 73
I’ve been feeding crickets, dubia roaches, super worms and hornworms as staples, vary insects gutloads from cricket crack, Arcadia insect fuel, fresh vegetables and fruits, big burger, big buffet, Arcadia 6% uvb , outdoor enclosures for real sunlight exposure ...

Plain calcium without d3 almost every feeding, not when feeding silkworms or hornworms , d3 once a month during the summer and twice a month during indoor

Can he have ingested a piece of fertilizer and this happened? He was a notorious plant/ dirt eater. I swapped soil when I got new plants but those little fertilizer balls would randomly pop up, that’s all I can think of. The vet is asking random questions about humidity which leads me to believe that they’re not sure how this happened and I’m in for a ton of tests , I just don’t want for the little dude to suffer through all this and then still have to be put down.

Are you referring to those little white bits in the soil as being fertilizer? If so...it's perlite.

Is he pooping? What color re his urates?
can you post a photo or two of the whole cage please?

Back
Top Bottom