Tortoises get MBD too...

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
Well I'm getting a redfoot tortoise. Someone posted one on craigslist needing a new home because their nephew lost interest (why people get difficult to care for exotic pets for children I still have no idea...) so of course I responded. The adult owner obviously cares for her a lot and asked lots of questions of me to make sure she was going to a good home. Unfortunately they clearly did not have a good setup though. She's going to need a lot of TLC to get her back on track so she can continue to grow. 3 years old and bad MBD.

Mia1.JPG

Mia2.jpg

Her beak is overgrown and will probably need to be trimmed for the rest of her life. Her carapace is terribly pyramided and her plastron is deformed. Poor thing. :( She only had a heat lamp. I was super excited about getting a redfoot and it just about broke my heart to see what kind of condition she's in. At least she'll be in better hands now with lots of calcium and sunshine.

Reactions: Hoj
thats terrible!! i never knew they could get MBD, we do learn something new everyday. but I'm glad you are going to take her in and give her the best life a tortoise could ever have :)

Yep, UVB and good diet is super important for turtles and tortoises too! Just found out apparently she doesn't use her hindlimbs very well. Could be an injury (was chewed on by a dog at some point), really low calcium, or spinal compression from her shell being deformed from the MBD. Poor thing. Keep finding out more sad things about her. :( I'm just glad I got to her first before someone else equally clueless tried to take her. They really did have good intentions, just no knowledge of what was needed at all.

thats so sad she's in a good home now though. do you "free range" your tortoises i guess thats the word haha

Yes, the big ones have the full backyard, which is quite large, that's fully landscaped with a heated house for the winter. The box turtles have their own separate outdoor area too. The baby box turtles have a smaller, more secure pen until they're big enough to join the 'herd'. This one is too small for the full backyard so she'll have a smaller pen until she gets stronger and bigger, but fully outdoor when possible to get lots of sun! And inside she'll get a big box with UVB and heat. I think right now she's in a 10-20 gallon tank, which I can use for other beasties!

yaa, for a new good home. i really like turtles and torts, one day when i have some more room.......

Don't I know it! I rescued a poor little sulcata who had been neglected for years (9.) luckily he had a UVB source or I'm sure he would be dead by now, but he was messed up. He has a severly pyramided shell (its as bad as some of the worst pictures you can find of live ones online!) its also overgrown. He's really tiny too. I don't think he will be growing too much more.

I wish you the best of luck with the poor baby's rehab!

Yes, the big ones have the full backyard, which is quite large, that's fully landscaped with a heated house for the winter. The box turtles have their own separate outdoor area too. The baby box turtles have a smaller, more secure pen until they're big enough to join the 'herd'. This one is too small for the full backyard so she'll have a smaller pen until she gets stronger and bigger, but fully outdoor when possible to get lots of sun! And inside she'll get a big box with UVB and heat. I think right now she's in a 10-20 gallon tank, which I can use for other beasties!

that is so awesome its almost like turtle heaven there!!! :)

wow good of you to take the little girl in. I sometimes get tired though of all the people with "good intentions" who are quite capable of researching and finding out what really is the proper way to take care of all these animals. It just kinda gets old, like all the poor chameleons on here. Nice that there are people like you to pick of the pieces. :)

on another note, have you ever seen the tortoise whose shell grew like an hour glass after someone had put a milk jug ring(the part around the cap) around the shell and the tortoise grew and grew and the ring stretched and stretched and never broke but constricted the shell in the middle from growing. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen that the tortoise survived. I saw the poster in a reptile store down here and had to do a double take cause I could not believe what I was seeing. I think it was determined if they removed it, the tortoise would die.

I sometimes get tired though of all the people with "good intentions" who are quite capable of researching and finding out what really is the proper way to take care of all these animals.

I am so tired of it too...it's the same old song over and over. In this day and age of limitless information on the net it is inexcusable. After I get her I am going to send them some info on the basics they were missing so that if they ever decide to try again they will know better.

on another note, have you ever seen the tortoise whose shell grew like an hour glass after someone had put a milk jug ring(the part around the cap) around the shell and the tortoise grew and grew and the ring stretched and stretched and never broke but constricted the shell in the middle from growing. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen that the tortoise survived. I saw the poster in a reptile store down here and had to do a double take cause I could not believe what I was seeing. I think it was determined if they removed it, the tortoise would die.

OMG! :eek: That is terrible!! I would have to punch someone if I knew they allowed that happen.

I know, the picture is really unbeilvable. I almost thought it was fake at first. I thought maybe you being in the tortoise world might have seen it on the internet(although I could not find it). I believe it was down here in Florida Next time I am over that way I will take a pic of the poster that is up in the reptile store and post it for you. From what I understand the tortoise was found out in the wild like that and was rescued and actually reproduced which is amazing also. I will never ever figure out what makes people tick and do the things that they do as they are pretty sure someone put the ring on the tortoise versus it getting the ring there on its own. Yeah, I think I would do more than punch them!!!

yes that is it! Can you believe that?! It says six pack ring, but they are clear and that is colored. It does look like the milk rings but I remember saying to the lady in the reptile store that I thought that ring would have broke as the shell grew. What ever the case....it is hard to look at it! Well you saved me a trip and a picture!!! lol!!

Congrats on the new little rescue! It's going to the best home possible! Please keep us updated on the little tort. I have a thing for shelled critters. ;) I am saving for a nice setup and Cherry Headed Redfoot Tortoise this spring!

Back
Top Bottom