Took my ficus tree out of Eustis cage and his cage is not doing well!

Went to Wal Mart today and they had a couple money trees that were close to 3 foot tall so I bought one. Much cheaper than my ficus that was 65.00 at the nursery! This money tree was only 24.97! I also bought a pothos in a hanging pot and I washed them really well and put them in Eustis cage with the other plants and the mass cane tree. Gives him a little more cover. He really prefers a lot of foliage he can hide in and when I took the ficus out he was at a loss! He was just constantly walking along his branches like he didn’t know what to do so I hope this helps.
Money trees are a great option. I had a beautiful one in Beau’s cage.. until he was diagnosed with coccidia 😬 it has since made a gorgeous houseplant. I’m only going off of experience, but crotons, peperomias and pothos plants have worked the best in my cages. I’ve also used coroplast on Beau’s old XL Reptibreeze! I bought pre-cut 48” x 24 pieces.

Money trees are a great option. I had a beautiful one in Beau’s cage.. until he was diagnosed with coccidia 😬 it has since made a gorgeous houseplant. I’m only going off of experience, but crotons, peperomias and pothos plants have worked the best in my cages. I’ve also used coroplast on Beau’s old XL Reptibreeze! I bought pre-cut 48” x 24 pieces.
I just bought a DIY cage and it’s coming in the mail. I want to do the same with the coroplast so will lowes have that and do they cut it to size? Can you use the same screw holes that your cage goes together with only use longer screws? I’m not very handy but I try.

I just bought a DIY cage and it’s coming in the mail. I want to do the same with the coroplast so will lowes have that and do they cut it to size? Can you use the same screw holes that your cage goes together with only use longer screws? I’m not very handy but I try.
Lowe's has them, and depending on their stock, there could be pre-cut 2x4 sheets of PVC. Coroplast can be cut with a box cutter and straight edge if Lowe's can't cut it. I used small, really short sheet metal screws and screwed the sheets to the frame in spots where it didn't interfere with doors and existing screws

Lowe's has them, and depending on their stock, there could be pre-cut 2x4 sheets of PVC. Coroplast can be cut with a box cutter and straight edge if Lowe's can't cut it. I used small, really short sheet metal screws and screwed the sheets to the frame in spots where it didn't interfere with doors and existing screws
Thank you!

Yes! like you said, just use longer screws. Standard screw size is 3/4 inch - pretty sure that is the size of the screws you would have used to put your Reptibreeze together. Next screw size up would be 1”. Get stainless screws because you don’t want them to rust! When you’re assembling your cage, line up your coroplast panels with the screw holes on each side of the frame. Coroplast is really easy to poke through with a screw just using your hand. Push the screws through one hole at a time to make sure they go right into the holes when you start screwing them in.

i also invested in one of these bad boys and it came in EXTREMELY handy when I put my Tamura cages together 😉

Electric Screwdriver

Here are the pre-cut 48” x 24” coroplast sheets I bought. They come in a pack of 3 and are all the same size.

Coroplast Sheets

Last edit: When Beau got coccidia and I had to nuke everything in his cage, I used these same coroplast sheets to replace the window film i originally out on his Reptibreeze. My cage was already assembled. I tried to screw the coroplast into the frame using self-tapping screws, but I just didn’t have the strength to get them to pop through the aluminum frame. I wound up duct taping the coroplast sheets to each side of the cage except for the front. It looked uglier than sin but it did work 😂 you can actually see the cage with the coroplast taped on behind Bastion in the pic.

Attachments

• 9A8715CE-8C10-45C8-AE0F-60356ABAFAD1.jpeg
    9A8715CE-8C10-45C8-AE0F-60356ABAFAD1.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yes! like you said, just use longer screws. Standard screw size is 3/4 inch - pretty sure that is the size of the screws you would have used to put your Reptibreeze together. Next screw size up would be 1”. Get stainless screws because you don’t want them to rust! When you’re assembling your cage, line up your coroplast panels with the screw holes on each side of the frame. Coroplast is really easy to poke through with a screw just using your hand. Push the screws through one hole at a time to make sure they go right into the holes when you start screwing them in.

i also invested in one of these bad boys and it came in EXTREMELY handy when I put my Tamura cages together 😉

Electric Screwdriver

Here are the pre-cut 48” x 24” coroplast sheets I bought. They come in a pack of 3 and are all the same size.

Coroplast Sheets

Last edit: When Beau got coccidia and I had to nuke everything in his cage, I used these same coroplast sheets to replace the window film i originally out on his Reptibreeze. My cage was already assembled. I tried to screw the coroplast into the frame using self-tapping screws, but I just didn’t have the strength to get them to pop through the aluminum frame. I wound up duct taping the coroplast sheets to each side of the cage except for the front. It looked uglier than sin but it did work 😂 you can actually see the cage with the coroplast taped on behind Bastion in the pic.
thank You so much for the links and the advice, I really appreciate it. I don’t have a lot of strength in my arms either but my daughter will be here to help!
Yes, self tapping screws are a must if you use the shorter ones on the frame! Pre-drilling helped tons, too!
thank you for the advice and advising me on how to do it. It will get done in October when my daughter is here. I’m just going to buy it all in the meantime and be ready. I’m excited!

If using screw better off using stainless steel ones. Some will make the aluminum corrode. Pvc sheets very easy to cut with just a utility knife. Pretty sure a pvc sheet cheaper and uv resistant then coroplast. Pvc sheets are made for siding on houses

If using screw better off using stainless steel ones. Some will make the aluminum corrode. Pvc sheets very easy to cut with just a utility knife. Pretty sure a pvc sheet cheaper and uv resistant then coroplast. Pvc sheets are made for siding on houses
Thanks for the info.

Well I was mistaken. According to the description on their website it is aluminum. I don’t know why I thought it was stainless steel! How is it better than the reptibreeze then?

It will be put together with the screws it came with. If I decide to do pvc sheets or coroplast I will get the appropriate screws. Thanks for the advice.

I wonder if there is a way to add the pvc sheets to the sides in a way that will allow me to remove one side if I need to because sometimes in the summer like now it gets real humid and I need to get air through the cage. Does anyone know?

I wonder if there is a way to add the pvc sheets to the sides in a way that will allow me to remove one side if I need to because sometimes in the summer like now it gets real humid and I need to get air through the cage. Does anyone know?
velcrow strips on the sheets and outside of screen. the fabric will make contact through the screen and hold them together. :)

You can screw the PVC sheet on the outside of the panel (screen still intact on the interior cage side) directly to the frame (not in the assembly holes) so you can screw and unscrew as needed to take the panel off!

I just had to rehab my retabrez xl , it’s going to be temporary for my panther until his new cage arrives . I just took 8th inch plexiglass Cut it to size (which I’m sure they would do for you at true value) then I put keeper swivels the ones that hold glass in on the four corners I can take the plexiglass in and out as I please . Plus it’s light enough it doesn’t damage the screen for the structure . I’ll try to get a picture tonight if it’s not too dark. They got me working overtime

Could do magnets. They sell magnet rolls. Put the rolls on cage then buy 4 or so high power ones. Like ones that come with full throttle feed. I did that on one side of my veiled cage. But now can't show cause I have other cage up against that side now.

Back
Top Bottom