Too much water in my enclosures

SUSE

Hi everyone

I have a zoo med's "Little dripper" and a plant inside my cham's enclosures. I have the dripper set too as slow as i can get it too go. the problem is it is so wet its starting too get the whole bottom of the enclosures wet with water. I currently i have it dripping into a live pant with a decent amount of soil. within 5 days it has flooded the plant and now my enclosures.

What do you guy& gals do for your dripper and collectors in your enclosures.

Thanks in advanced.

I bought all sorts of fancy drain fixtures and tubing and buckets etc etc... In the end I just cut a 1.5" circle in the middle of the enclosure bottom and put a river rock over it. I then took a bailing wire and suspended a plastic container underneath. I empty it daily, it is simple and works great.

Of course I have my enclosure hung on the wall so this might not work for most. Chameleonfan101 has an awesome idea. Read his post he linked to great idea.

Essentially somehow putting a drain on the bottom into a container is how most people handle this problem.

Wow! that is amazing! I don't know if i can do something that fancy right now.

Here is my setup, Please rate it.

http://goo.gl/0r18G

he suse! thanks for the compliment! hahaha but the whole stand and the plastic container is probably like $20 haha then just drill some holes on the bottom of your cage and onto the stand and you are set. as far as your set up, is looking nice but you do not need a night light! a lll lights should be out at night in order for your chameleon to not feel stressed and relax. im not sure how cold it is where you live but if you are worried about how cold it gets at night i would get a ceramic bulb (they produce heat but no light). so in the mean time i would replace your black light with a regular house light bulb for basking. you will definitely need a drainage system if you leave those rocks in the bottom because the water in the bottom of your cage has no where to go and is getting stuck there which can cause bacteria. i also recommend getting a few more plants for hiding places you don't have to do it all now but little by little you can start to add more and more plants! fell free to a pm or ask me any questions ill be happy to help!:D

my drain setup

Heres my drain setup ran it out window and used wood dowell to keep closed for security, used aluminum tape to seal gap. pans in cages are ones that came with cages and i glued pvc drain into pan and used a rubber boot from drain to 1" pvc angles so will drain. Misters are fogger nozzels and all hard plumbed and on auto timer all parts are from home depot. note: pans bow in middle with weight of plants allows water to drain right out and timers run 3 times a day for 8 min. Repotted plants in organic soil used 2" layer of river rocks in bottom of pot to allow for better drainage and set pot on spacer rings.Im very proud because this is my first setup! Oh and table is 6 foot folding table from home depot also drilled larger hole in table for access thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Same idea as chameleonfan101. I made my cage and made the floor plastic and drilled some holes in it. Underneath it is a plastic bin from walmart. I have to empty the bin like once a month haha. Well I did just get a monsoon (thank god!) so now I may have to do it a bit more. But either way, it is so easy!

I just have to figure out why the schefflera started dying :(

a827f8c4.jpg

bad iphone pic, I know. The cham is in the upper left corner, but I don't think that you can see cuz of the light.

Actually the easiest thing to do is get a glass bottle or any good size container your cham cant get into and let it drip into the container at the bottom of the cage and just empty it when it get full it has worked for me so far

Back
Top Bottom