Too much food?

DASVlDANlYA

Hey guys, my female veiled cham is roughly 5 months old now and I'm noticing a tiny lil gut when she's holding onto the wall of her enclosure. I mean at this point i'm thinking im just feeding her too much because she's not looking for place to lay a clutch yet. I know there are some cases of females laying eggs this early so I'm a little worried but i'm 90% she's just getting a bit chubby. All that being said, I know if I control her diet better she'll lay a smaller clutch or possibly not lay at all.

SO, currently she gets like 25-30 small crickets a day (like 1/4 of an inch). Or I'll feed her 12-15 crickets for one feeding and then on her second feeding I'll give her like 10 medium phoenix worms and throw in a few superworms.

I read that all that was a good amount of food while she was growing but now I feel like I should be cutting it down quite a bit. I just don't know how much.

Hey guys, my female veiled cham is roughly 5 months old now and I'm noticing a tiny lil gut when she's holding onto the wall of her enclosure. I mean at this point i'm thinking im just feeding her too much because she's not looking for place to lay a clutch yet. I know there are some cases of females laying eggs this early so I'm a little worried but i'm 90% she's just getting a bit chubby. All that being said, I know if I control her diet better she'll lay a smaller clutch or possibly not lay at all.

SO, currently she gets like 25-30 small crickets a day (like 1/4 of an inch). Or I'll feed her 12-15 crickets for one feeding and then on her second feeding I'll give her like 10 medium phoenix worms and throw in a few superworms.

I read that all that was a good amount of food while she was growing but now I feel like I should be cutting it down quite a bit. I just don't know how much.
Hm. 25-30 Crix a day? My lil guy has about 12 crickets, and a couple hornworms, with a superworm. What times are you feeding her, in the morning?
Edit: But yes, In my opinion I would cut it down a bit. He also is 5 months old as well.

You may also up the size on the crickets too :D , depending on the width of her head, mine is eating 1/2 inch crickets now, with nice sized hornworms maybe 2-3, and a medium sized super after. If and when you do get bigger crickets feed less than what you feed now since they are bigger, I'd do 11-12 of them.

Hm. 25-30 Crix a day? My lil guy has about 12 crickets, and a couple hornworms, with a superworm. What times are you feeding her, in the morning?
Edit: But yes, In my opinion I would cut it down a bit. He also is 5 months old as well.

Ahhhh okay I figured i should. I feed her at 9am and then again at 5 pm so shes got time to digest before i turn her light off at 9pm.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets

I wouldn't feed her later at all, generally first part of morn after a time to warm up, we even run our dripper for 15-20 mins before feeding as the sun's coming up. They use their uvb lighting as part of the digestive process (I'm not super familiar so excuse the general comments) so it's important they are fed in the early part of the day, after lights out, they aren't able to digest properly.

Depending on what size she is, I agree size up on crickets if your doing the teeny ones and go to 1/4, or even 1/2. Try some rec live plants if she is hungry still as her diet will help you immensely with clutches, as well as temp maintenance.

You are definitely feeding to much. I feed my 18 month female every other day. With about 15 medium or large crickets each time. She seems happy!:D

You are definitely feeding to much. I feed my 18 month female every other day. With about 15 medium or large crickets each time. She seems happy!:D
Also, She hasn’t layed a clutch yet so I am doing something right.

Back
Top Bottom