Too much D3

danmar26

I have been reading posts here about not using supplements with D3 too much. What are the issues with that? Without knowing any better I have been using it for the past few years on leopard geckos and anoles at every feeding with no apparent side effects. The animals seem healthy as can be.

Well, it depends on the brand. Some can be used way more often than others. Chameleons also are sensitive to supplements, especially the montanes.

What brand of supplement are u using?. They all contain different amounts and this is the key. For instance Repcal which is very popular has 400,000 IU/kg of d3 therefore it is to be used sparingly. I use twice a month. Now take Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall and that contains like 4,400IU. Huge difference! Do your pets ever get out in the sun?. If so they are getting d3 that way too. Too much d3 can cause internal problems such as mineralization of organs, so what looks good on the outside may not be true on the inside.

The problem with giving D3 from supplements is that it can build up in the chameleon's body and cause problems...organ damage, signs of MBD, etc. D3 produced from exposure to UVB light should not build up in the body as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the range of the UVB. D3 also interacts with prEformed vitamin A so the amounts given in relation to one another are important.

Since we don't really know how much D3 is too much IMHO its better to give it a little bit and allow it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB.

kinyonga knows what he's talking about
i had a problem with to much calcium about 21 years ago with my first cham the result was mbd his legs became so bad and hi's joints couldent hold hi's weight
daim my english sucks :(:(

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I am using Repti Vite it has aout 10,300 IU of D3. I am thinking of moving his enclosure to my porch when the weather warms. He will get about 5 hours of natural sunlight there. Would I still need to supplement D3 and use the Uv bulb if he is getting natural sunlight?

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I am using Repti Vite it has aout 10,300 IU of D3. I am thinking of moving his enclosure to my porch when the weather warms. He will get about 5 hours of natural sunlight there. Would I still need to supplement D3 and use the Uv bulb if he is getting natural sunlight?

depends on a lot, uvb doesn't really go thru glass well so if its a window then it doesn't do much, then screen blocks it out again(a little so multiple screens=more), i would stick with the uvb bulb and supplement the d3 3x a month, you'll need regular calcium without d3 tho for most feedings.

Back
Top Bottom