Too many blue bottle flies!

I mix those and a bunch of powders like moringa, kelp, spirulina, brewers yeast, etc into a paste and dip a cotton ball in it. The flies suck it up. I leave them at room temperature for 12-24 hours to feed on it before putting them in the fridge.
Oh, ok, thanks for the info, I'll go mix some up and try that now!

not to hijack your post but what do you do if your picky, spoiled toddler cham has decided he doesn't WANT the flies anymore, even though he normally eats them like candy and you now have 30 flies that have been in the enclosure for two days, will they just die, I can't open the door to clean or anything because I don't want flies all over the place!!! HELP!! I swear he just LOVES to wait until I stock up on certain feeders to decide he doesn't want to eat them anymore and now I am stuck with all these bugs!! cheeky little bugger!!
Your not the only one... Mine does the same thing... I think I finally have a staple feeder to add to the variety and he goes on strike... So fun.

Your not the only one... Mine does the same thing... I think I finally have a staple feeder to add to the variety and he goes on strike... So fun.
Becca, Have you tried blue bottle flies with Beman yet? It's pretty entertaining watching them hunt flies!

I'll try to get some, he's camera shy! He's only 5 months old so just starting to get some color to him. It's so cool.
He doesn't have to be buttnaked shy for alphakenc..jus get him all excited in front of ur kodak cam so I can see how handsome he is .

Becca, Have you tried blue bottle flies with Beman yet? It's pretty entertaining watching them hunt flies!
No, where do you get yours from? I have tried Dubia, Superworms, BSFL, crickets, silkworms, horn worms... He went totally off dubia for 4 weeks so I gave up and sold them to the pet store. Then he was all about the supers and now he wants nothing to do with them which I now have 50 of. Crickets he will now only eat if they jump into his mouth, He has not been as impressed with the BSFL lately, Silks and horns he loves but I don't want to do a diet of only those. I am thinking about building a feeder run that is about 8x12 inches to see if he likes hunting more then cup feeding. He will hand feed but the problem with that is if I open the door he thinks I am taking him out and comes down to me and will not have anything to do with the feeder in my hand. He just reaches for me to come out. It is a little frustrating. I was going to buy 6 dubia today and see if I can't get him back on those as well. But he is soooooo stubborn and picky.

No, where do you get yours from? I have tried Dubia, Superworms, BSFL, crickets, silkworms, horn worms... He went totally off dubia for 4 weeks so I gave up and sold them to the pet store. Then he was all about the supers and now he wants nothing to do with them which I now have 50 of. Crickets he will now only eat if they jump into his mouth, He has not been as impressed with the BSFL lately, Silks and horns he loves but I don't want to do a diet of only those. I am thinking about building a feeder run that is about 8x12 inches to see if he likes hunting more then cup feeding. He will hand feed but the problem with that is if I open the door he thinks I am taking him out and comes down to me and will not have anything to do with the feeder in my hand. He just reaches for me to come out. It is a little frustrating. I was going to buy 6 dubia today and see if I can't get him back on those as well. But he is soooooo stubborn and picky.

I buy the fly spikes from rainbowmealworms.com. SUPER cheap, just keep spikes in fridge, bring some out to pupate in a tall tupperware with some eco earth/coconut coir at bottom, keep at room temp and takes about a week or so, and then another week or two to turn into flies (though this probably depends on temperature). Max also LOVES the spikes so I feed him those as treats too.

I keep trying dubia, no luck still. I also got red runners, orange heads, hissers, discords, suriyan, and kenyans. He wont eat any of them! Very frustrating.

Have any of your BSFL turned into flies yet? I have only had a couple turn, they were a big hit as well. Max likes flying things.

That's sooooooo cute that Beman comes to you every time you open the door! I wish Max did that. He just glares at me.

Silkworms are a big hit at our house still as well. That better not change either, I love them, they're my favorite to keep.

I buy the fly spikes from rainbowmealworms.com. SUPER cheap, just keep spikes in fridge, bring some out to pupate in a tall tupperware with some eco earth/coconut coir at bottom, keep at room temp and takes about a week or so, and then another week or two to turn into flies (though this probably depends on temperature). Max also LOVES the spikes so I feed him those as treats too.

I keep trying dubia, no luck still. I also got red runners, orange heads, hissers, discords, suriyan, and kenyans. He wont eat any of them! Very frustrating.

Have any of your BSFL turned into flies yet? I have only had a couple turn, they were a big hit as well. Max likes flying things.

That's sooooooo cute that Beman comes to you every time you open the door! I wish Max did that. He just glares at me.

Silkworms are a big hit at our house still as well. That better not change either, I love them, they're my favorite to keep.
So I have had a BSFL turn into a fly as well as a few waxworms (he gets 1 when I am trying to trick him into eating something else by laying it on top of whatever I am trying to get him to eat :) ) He just watched them fly... The BSF got out and started zooming around the house... So I have been banned on feeding these now lol.
He is super cute about coming out but at times like feeding it makes it hard. I kept thinking once he got his new enclosure that would stop but it has not in the slightest.

@Beman how old is your cham? If they're adults just don't offer anything but roaches for a week straight or more. They eventually give in. This is how I changed my panthers(which tend to be picky in general) over to all roaches instead of crickets.

Funny you guys like silkworms. I hate dealing with them. They die so easily. Also my Parsons doesn't like worms and prefers adult roaches and flying insects. So worms go to waste in this house lol

@Beman how old is your cham? If they're adults just don't offer anything but roaches for a week straight or more. They eventually give in. This is how I changed my panthers(which tend to be picky in general) over to all roaches instead of crickets.

Funny you guys like silkworms. I hate dealing with them. They die so easily. Also my Parsons doesn't like worms and prefers adult roaches and flying insects. So worms go to waste in this house lol
James he is almost 9 months old. This picky behavior has been happening the last 6 weeks. The silks are starting to make me a little nuts. But I read somewhere that a diet of mainly worms is not good for them. And this is what he seems to only want. So it has become a battle of trying to get him to eat so he continues to put on weight and stay healthy. He is only 109 grams now. He has put 6 grams on in the last 2 weeks after losing 3 the two weeks prior.

@Beman silkworms are nutritious at least and feed on mulberry which is also nutritious. So no big deal. Once hes done growing around 9-12months I'd do some tough love and try to get him on roaches or something.

I read that silkworms are super fussy and die easy so I am meticulous about cleaning their tub every day, and also washing my hands before touching them or anything they come in contact with. After washing my hands I also do a quick spray of rubbing alcohol on my hands and let air dry before touching them. I've only had a couple die so far...

Ripley will only eat a super worm if I hold it up in front of his face, I had them in the Full Throttle feeder cup for a week and he wouldn't even look at them :rolleyes:. He scarfed down two silk worms right away when I got mine in and now he won't even look at those either and I have a whole colony starting :LOL:. I gave up on horn worms too because he LOVED them when I only had 12, then I ordered 25 and he totally ignored them so the birds got those...... I thought I had it narrowed down to the blue bottle flies, super worms and crickets, but now he is ignoring the flies. The only thing it ALWAYS goes for are crickets but I SO want him to have a better diet than that. *sigh* like I said, spoiled toddlers....

Are u still getting dress for Max????
I been waiting to peek a Max.....
OK, I just went and took some pictures for you. He isn't pleased with me for bothering him, lol, so these aren't his best colors!

Attachments

• FB366155-D9B0-4A74-B58C-5E281D1017AB.jpeg
    FB366155-D9B0-4A74-B58C-5E281D1017AB.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 51
  • D3DB31FC-D633-4F40-8D28-E6A19E41D497.jpeg
    D3DB31FC-D633-4F40-8D28-E6A19E41D497.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 85
  • D345F362-9EE7-470D-BA0D-CD2F5A7461EA.jpeg
    D345F362-9EE7-470D-BA0D-CD2F5A7461EA.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 54
  • B7AE2E5E-D28F-4363-95FB-D9A251460D92.jpeg
    B7AE2E5E-D28F-4363-95FB-D9A251460D92.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 55
Ripley will only eat a super worm if I hold it up in front of his face, I had them in the Full Throttle feeder cup for a week and he wouldn't even look at them :rolleyes:. He scarfed down two silk worms right away when I got mine in and now he won't even look at those either and I have a whole colony starting :LOL:. I gave up on horn worms too because he LOVED them when I only had 12, then I ordered 25 and he totally ignored them so the birds got those...... I thought I had it narrowed down to the blue bottle flies, super worms and crickets, but now he is ignoring the flies. The only thing it ALWAYS goes for are crickets but I SO want him to have a better diet than that. *sigh* like I said, spoiled toddlers....
UGH! That's frustrating! How old is he? So far Max will eat everything but roaches. And he doesn't love hornworms but he'll eat one here and there.,

OK, I just went and took some pictures for you. He isn't pleased with me for bothering him, lol, so these aren't his best colors!
See,that wasn't so difficult to get the movie star out, now u have lots papaya I meant "Paparazzi" to looking around....life is good for Max and he is stunning looking cham in alphakenc's eye:D great job!

See,that wasn't so difficult to get the movie star out, now u have lots papaya I meant "Paparazzi" to looking around....life is good for Max and he is stunning looking cham in alphakenc's eye:D great job!
Thank you! I completely adore him.

Back
Top Bottom