Too cold

Veiled Balter

Hi

So today I realized it was to cold in my veiled chameleons terrarium.
Its only 21,9 Celsius or about 70 fahrenheit.

But the temperature is perfect under then heat lamp.

How do I raise the temperature in the terrarium, without raising the temperature under the heat lamp to much?

You are fine. Its 22c as a high for the month in Yemen right now.

My veiled's were fine at 60f for night/day temps as long as i got the basking spots to 90f. The would just bake under the heat lamps for 30min, run around for a few hours, and then come back, rinse repeat.

Hi

So today I realized it was to cold in my veiled chameleons terrarium.
Its only 21,9 Celsius or about 70 fahrenheit.

But the temperature is perfect under then heat lamp.

How do I raise the temperature in the terrarium, without raising the temperature under the heat lamp to much?

I recently built my cage out of a curio cabinet. I’m having the same issue as you. My temperatures are not getting higher than 69F in the cabinet, but the humidity fluctuates perfectly between 51-70% before and after misting three times per day via the mistking starter. My basking temperater is perfect as well. It ranges in the lower to mid 90s. In my house it is usually 66 degrees year round so I’m not sure why the cage isn’t producing more than 69 Degree ambient heat. I would also like to know how to make the ambient temps higher without buying a ceramic heater or another basking lamp. I feel as if the basking spot will get way too hot if I do that. Can someone please confirm if the upper 60s ambient temps are okay for night and day averages?

I recently built my cage out of a curio cabinet. I’m having the same issue as you. My temperatures are not getting higher than 69F in the cabinet, but the humidity fluctuates perfectly between 51-70% before and after misting three times per day via the mistking starter. My basking temperater is perfect as well. It ranges in the lower to mid 90s. In my house it is usually 66 degrees year round so I’m not sure why the cage isn’t producing more than 69 Degree ambient heat. I would also like to know how to make the ambient temps higher without buying a ceramic heater or another basking lamp. I feel as if the basking spot will get way too hot if I do that. Can someone please confirm if the upper 60s ambient temps are okay for night and day averages?

http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Veiled-Chameleon/
The veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) is a species of chameleon native to the Arabian Peninsula in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Other common names include cone-head chameleon and Yemen chameleon

The best ambient temperature during the day for Veiled Chameleons is room temperature, between 72 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Veiled land is in the upper 50s-low 60's 4 months out of the year...

You are fine. Its 22c as a high for the month in Yemen right now.

My veiled's were fine at 60f for night/day temps as long as i got the basking spots to 90f. The would just bake under the heat lamps for 30min, run around for a few hours, and then come back, rinse repeat.

My chameleon has not been moving that much around lately and i thought it might be because of the temperature.

A chameleon won't likely move as much when the cage temperature is low. They tend to sit up under the basking light more often.

Is he still only eating about 5 crickets a day? Is he still as thin as he was in the post where you were told to feed him about 10 med to large crickets a day? Does he move around a lot? Sit with his eyes shut during the day? Does your cage have a substrate? Is that dried grassy looking stuff still wrapped around branches in the cage?

http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Veiled-Chameleon/
The veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) is a species of chameleon native to the Arabian Peninsula in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Other common names include cone-head chameleon and Yemen chameleon

The best ambient temperature during the day for Veiled Chameleons is room temperature, between 72 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Veiled land is in the upper 50s-low 60's 4 months out of the year...

Well, I have personally did a lot of research on my end and have came across these two websites a few times lol. The problem I am coming across is keeping my live plants alive and ambient temperatures up in my cage during the day. The center of my cage barely hits 70 degrees and when I mist it drops a few more degrees. I am currently researching different lights that I can use that will be beneficial for my live plants and wouldn't harm my chameleon, but It seems like there isn't a direct answer on this topic yet. I am not sure what lighting to use to support the health of both, the chameleon and live plant (Umbrella plant).

Well, I have personally did a lot of research on my end and have came across these two websites a few times lol. The problem I am coming across is keeping my live plants alive and ambient temperatures up in my cage during the day. The center of my cage barely hits 70 degrees and when I mist it drops a few more degrees. I am currently researching different lights that I can use that will be beneficial for my live plants and wouldn't harm my chameleon, but It seems like there isn't a direct answer on this topic yet. I am not sure what lighting to use to support the health of both, the chameleon and live plant (Umbrella plant).

Id look into multiple 35-50 watt halogen wide beam floods. Plants love them, color is perfect, and wide/low wattage means no hot spots.

I had a similar issue with plants at the top of my enclosure getting dried out/overheated. I switched to halogen as nightanole advised and it largely solved this problem.

Id look into multiple 35-50 watt halogen wide beam floods. Plants love them, color is perfect, and wide/low wattage means no hot spots.

That’s not a bad idea. I guess I could go the route of getting two bulbs at lower wattage to get the desired basking spot and hopefully keep the plants alive. I actually looked into it further. It looks like plants can thrive better with 6500k lighting. They make LED strip bulbs that can be placed next to the plant on the exterior of the cage with a standup dome lamp. LED doesn’t emit much heat so it could work in conjunction with the other lamps and uvb on top of the cage. You will still have a good ambient temp and proper UVB for the chameleon as well.

That’s not a bad idea. I guess I could go the route of getting two bulbs at lower wattage to get the desired basking spot and hopefully keep the plants alive. I actually looked into it further. It looks like plants can thrive better with 6500k lighting. They make LED strip bulbs that can be placed next to the plant on the exterior of the cage with a standup dome lamp. LED doesn’t emit much heat so it could work in conjunction with the other lamps and uvb on top of the cage. You will still have a good ambient temp and proper UVB for the chameleon as well.

I "hear" that the modern LED grow lights are alot better than halogen and florescent. They were a joke in the early 2000's and i havent looked into them since. Due to that i cant comment on them. I will say that the plants have no trouble crowding out the chameleons from their basking spots after a few months :)

Back
Top Bottom