Too close to lighting?

I just set up my cage and finally got the new 5 mos. Ambilobe Panther into his environment. I have a 100w PowerSun UVA/UVB bulb in a metallic hood resting on top of my screen cage. The cage is 24x24x48. The vines and perches are about 12 inches away from the light and the temp there (on the vines) is about 95 degrees. The little guy started crawling the ceiling and getting up to the edge of the light fixture. I am worried if he gets directly under it he may get burned. Should I displace the light higher off the cage? Any comments would help. Thank You.

Attachments

• Enclosure.JPG
    Enclosure.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 203
  • no name yet.JPG
    no name yet.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I would put some vines up closer to the light to give him the option to get closer. He might also like it more dense in there so he has some good hiding spots. When they get stressed they feel safer if they think you can't see them.

Don't move the light, move the foliage. Elisa is right, you should put more plantlife into the cage. A tall ficus, hibiscus or shefflera maybe (Live Plant Section w/Safe species).

Secondly, those dial thermometres and hygrometers are pretty incorrect. I highly suggest investing in a thermometre that is digital, and also has a corded probe. (~$5)

IMO, if the temp reads 95F at the basking branch you should be okay. In my experience, new chams always explore their cages for a couple days before they settle in and settle down. I personally would not move the branch any closer than 10-12 inches (if temps already read 95F there), but as advised, you might want to add more foliage and vines below and around the basking branch to provide a more secure environment for him. The more foliage he has, the quicker he'll settle in and feel secure in his new digs. Give him privacy and quiet time for now so he can acclimate to his new surroundings.
Enjoy! He's really pretty!

You may have one and I just do not see it but a flourescent bulb that produces uvB is in order. With a panther a 5.0 (5%) or better is in needed. Try to put it as close to the basking bulb as you can. They like to do both at the same time. Will is right about those analog type thermometers.

He looks cute by the sprayer.

Jordan said:
You may have one and I just do not see it but a flourescent bulb that produces uvB is in order. With a panther a 5.0 (5%) or better is in needed. Try to put it as close to the basking bulb as you can. They like to do both at the same time.

The PowerSun is a Mercury Vapor bulb. Ive used a 150W PowerSun before for pardalis without trouble for about two months. The heat and UV are pretty intense though and you really need to provide lots of cover and foliage when using them as well as constantly monitor the heat of such hot lamps.

Will Hayward said:
The heat and UV are pretty intense though and you really need to provide lots of cover and foliage when using them as well as constantly monitor the heat of such hot lamps.

So true! That's why IMO, for novice keepers, a regular ReptiSun 5.0 or 10.0 UVB strip bulb/fixture and regular household bulb for heat are the best choices.

Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly add more plants for cover. Still waiting for the right name, but he seems to be adusting well to the new home.

Okay, I knew I heard that name before somewhere.

Oh, duh. I guess it says it right at the top.

more plants and vines

Here is a look at the enclosure with the addition of some new plant life. The plants are hibiscus, umbrella plant, pothos and staghorn fern. The little guy is already feeling at home amongst the greenery. No more climbing on the ceiling for now. Also attached some photos sunning and misting. Thanks again. More questions to come.

Attachments

• more plants for enclosure.JPG
    more plants for enclosure.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Hanging out.JPG
    Hanging out.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Sunlight and a misting.JPG
    Sunlight and a misting.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 139
now that is one full cage. How do you see him in there? Can he get around? I like a few nice open areas to at least see him. His feeding area is in the open, but he has a few nice hiding places in the pothos. Im sure he loves it but whats the point?

zinc99 said:
now that is one full cage. How do you see him in there? Can he get around?
Thats not a full cage... THIS is a full cage... :D Chameleons can get around trhough any density of plants. They'll be seen when they want to allow you to see them- and thats how it should be.
zinc99 said:
Im sure he loves it but whats the point?
The point is that he loves it... no? what? :confused:

Half the fun of watching chameleons, is trying to find them. And then knowing that once you have found the, that they have been sitting there calmly watching you the whole time. :)

thats true sometimes i can never find my cham but he is right there in front of my face i think its hilarious its like a challenge

zinc99 said:
now that is one full cage. How do you see him in there? Can he get around? I like a few nice open areas to at least see him. His feeding area is in the open, but he has a few nice hiding places in the pothos. Im sure he loves it but whats the point?

Yeah, this is a bit of a full cage, but in fact there is plenty of open space for him. I'd say he spends about 50% of the time basking in the open and the rest of the time he seems content on roaming the enclosure. The most important thing to me is that he is happy. I'm currently building an outdoor enclosure of the same size, for daytime sunning, which I will probably rotate some of the plants into to allow for some more variety.

Back
Top Bottom