Tongue sticking out?

JoeG

So she successfully laid her clutch yesterday & since she has come out of the laying bin she hasn't closed her mouth properly. Her tongue is sting out like maybe has sand in her mouth or bit her tongue, not sure. I spray water lightly in the space left open on the sides even though she doesn't like it, but i'm afraid to put in too much if she accidentally aspires into her lungs. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here is what the book"Essential Care of Chameleons" by Philippe de Vosjoli says about it:
"Tongue Hyperextension:
After striking out after prey , your chameleon may be unable to retract its tongue. If this happens, place your chameleon in a bare tank with a single, low branch where it can perch, holding the animal and its tongue very carefully to prevent injury. Cover the bottom of the tank with moist paper towels or wet newspaper so that the chameleon's tongue does not dry out or become stuck. Do not use a heat pad or under-tank heater. To minimize stress and encourage muscular response, place the tank comfortably warm (around 75 degrees F), dark area. Although this condition may look horrifying, a chameleon usually withdraws its tongue within 24 hours and returns to full normal function without additional intervention. Do not panic - it might cause irreparable damage. This condition is often associated with calcium deficiency"

Was this the lizards first clutch? How many eggs?

When her tongue is/was in her mouth, do the lips shut completely or are they open a bit at the end?

Can you post a couple more pictures of her please?

Here is what the book"Essential Care of Chameleons" by Philippe de Vosjoli says about it:

Was this the lizards first clutch? How many eggs?

This is her second clutch. The 6 week retained clutch. The first time she had complications ,but this time she did a good job. Until I noticed the tongue, I thought smooth sailing so after reading your post, I am off to get some liquid calcium for her. I tried to regulate her clutch by lesser feedings & temp but she still produced 42 eggs, 41 the first time. Going to the store now. I'll check back later. Thanks JJ

When her tongue is/was in her mouth, do the lips shut completely or are they open a bit at the end?

Can you post a couple more pictures of her please?

Just that little bit toward the tip. I'll try & get some side shots later

In the pictures you posted it looks to me like she may be having calcium issues...but I can't be sure from those pictures. Also, I was worried about her egglaying issues.

I was thinking the elbow looks slightly rounded. My thoughts were that there has been some heavy calcium depletion over the two clutches and that might be starting to be an issue. This can occur with any species. These are my thoughts only.
Please note carefully any advice Kinyongia may offer at this point, I defer to her experience with this in regard chameleons.
I too am learning more here as we go, and whilst I've deal with the issue in other species,
Kin can give you much more specific advice. Cheers :)

That's exactly it...rounded elbows...and the lips that don't quite close at the tip of the mouth. Also, looking at the wrist...but that might just be the angle.

Also...regarding controlling the clutch size...how did you go about it?

That's exactly it...rounded elbows...and the lips that don't quite close at the tip of the mouth. Also, looking at the wrist...but that might just be the angle.

Also...regarding controlling the clutch size...how did you go about it?

Hi Kinyonga, I posted some side views for you. Just got back from the store, they didn't have the liquid calcium so I mixed some powdered w/d3 in a cup & dripped some in her mouth with a dropper. Tommorrow I'll give her the plain calcium, I agree, its probably a deficiency due to creating all those eggs. What I'm not understanding is that it didnt show up until after she came out of the hole. As far as the clutch size I fed her less than before.

How much and how often can you give liquid calcium if she is dehydrated. 7 month old female chameleon. She has eggs in her and is very weak. Has only layed one egg.

Back
Top Bottom