Tongue problems

Simon1986

My female yeme aged 8months has just come off a rather long hunger strike and its been going well for just over a week she started eating crickets and silk worms again with full extension of her tongue but now she's got a little weird I am monitering her and when I put in new crickets she doesn't shoot her tongue out she pokes it out back and forward till it touches the crickets I front as it she's expecting them to just climb onboard for the ride. Could her confidence have been knocked some how? A bite? I've read about over supplementing can cause this to. Has anyone had this before? She'll go for silks but no more distance than 2-3 inches,

any advise would be appreciated

Seeing that she was using it and then all of the sudden cannot, you may be looking at an injury to the tongue of some type. There are plenty of people on here who have had problems with their chameleons tongues. From what I have see on here, if iit were a deficiency of some sort or a supplementation issue it would be more of a gradual loss of use. Hopefully someone else can elaborate for you.

Mine hit a silk and the stick at the same time. Instead of letting go, he pulled himself across the cage. After that he couldnt aim at anything farther than 4-5" away for 3 months.

Seeing that she was using it and then all of the sudden cannot, you may be looking at an injury to the tongue of some type. There are plenty of people on here who have had problems with their chameleons tongues. From what I have see on here, if iit were a deficiency of some sort or a supplementation issue it would be more of a gradual loss of use. Hopefully someone else can elaborate for you.

I agree with Carol.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/232-tongue-troubles.html

After my veiled got his tongue stuck to a light bulb, he would only hang it out and was of no use......he eventually lost most all of his tongue and has to be hand fed everything.....hope your is only a minor injury.

Mine hit a silk and the stick at the same time. Instead of letting go, he pulled himself across the cage. After that he couldnt aim at anything farther than 4-5" away for 3 months.

Was there a gradual recovery or was there a trip to the vets?

It's strange because there is no difference to the movement it's not as if its swollen or raw it's just the standard dark navy and mucusy colour it's always been.

You said it was a rather long hunger strike...if she wasn't eating she wouldn't be gets into supplements unless you were giving them to her somehow...so maybe she's lacking calcium?? Has she been working eggs?

No she had a full hysterectomy 4-5 months ago.

I think she's lazy/fussy as she nailed a wax worm this morning not at a great distance but with some power behind it

Back
Top Bottom