Tongue problems from medication?

winterbones

Hi all,

my almost 2 year old male veiled is currently on Baytril and Metacam for a swollen/infected hemipene. He's due surgery next Wed as it's not getting any better.

Today is day 4 of his medication, and I noticed his tongue isn't working properly. Prior to my vet appointment 4 days ago, Mylo went on a hunger strike for 2 weeks. My vet gave him some nutritional fluids to help him, and told me to feed him silkworms with calcium - as many as he wanted, to get some vitamins back into his body. He's been feeding well the last few days, but today at feeding time he was unable to use his tongue properly.

His tongue was very slow, only came out about 2 inches maximum and he kept missing the bugs. If he did catch the bug, his tongue hardly stuck to it.

Could this be anything to do with his meds? Or could it be a delayed reaction to the lack of vitamins in his hunger strike?

I fed his insects direct to his mouth today, so he's still getting food.

Tongue doesn't look infected or physically harmed/swollen, and he is very well hydrated. Temps/humidity etc are all normal.

A well nurtured chameleon doesn't get a lack of anything in only two weeks. That's a normal hunger period for a chameleon and they can deal with this short time without problems (remember it's not a mammal). If there is a lack of vitamins or calcium, it has been for a longer time yet. Would be interesting to know what (and how much) you feed and everything about your supplementation 'til now. Or could it be someone injured the tongue during feeding, giving medicatios, whatsoever? Not seeing a swelling or big injury doesn't always mean there is nothing.

Baytril and Metacam contain no active agents which could seriously harm a chameleon's tongue. Both should be given with proper infusions.

A well nurtured chameleon doesn't get a lack of anything in only two weeks. That's a normal hunger period for a chameleon and they can deal with this short time without problems (remember it's not a mammal). If there is a lack of vitamins or calcium, it has been for a longer time yet. Would be interesting to know what (and how much) you feed and everything about your supplementation 'til now. Or could it be someone injured the tongue during feeding, giving medicatios, whatsoever? Not seeing a swelling or big injury doesn't always mean there is nothing.

Baytril and Metacam contain no active agents which could seriously harm a chameleon's tongue. Both should be given with proper infusions.

I agree. As he's been on the hunger strike and under a lot more stress (pain, etc), he's more likely to suffer a developing deficiency if it was borderline before all this started.

Thanks for the replies.

That's what is puzzling me. His supplements are all fine:

Phosphorus free calcium without D3 everyday
Phosphorus free calcium with D3 twice a month
Multivitamin twice a month

He eats a variety of feeders -hoppers and locusts/brown crickets/silkworms/moths/dubia and occasional waxworm for a treat.
All are gut loaded prior to feeding.

He's never had a big appetite and only eats around 4-6 insects a day, but my vet and other people on this forum said it's normal, some just have different appetites.

His tongue has been perfectly healthy and fully functional until today. He's not lethargic or acting strange either, and again, I looked at his tongue and see no physical harm or any infection/swelling, so I'm really quite baffled by it.

His next vet appointment is on Thursday.

Phosphorus free calcium without D3 everyday
Phosphorus free calcium with D3 twice a month
Multivitamin twice a month

How much IE vitamin D3 contains the second one? And which vitamins (and in which doses) contains the third supplement? Which UVB-bulbs do you use?

He's never had a big appetite and only eats around 4-6 insects a day, but my vet and other people on this forum said it's normal, some just have different appetites.

That's a looooot too much for an adult veiled chameleon (if he has no days without food, he gets 30 to 40 feeders a week!). No wonder at all he doesn't eat "more". Please read this carefully.

I'm not in my house atm (at my boyfriend's, but it's Repcal I use for all 3 supplements).

As for UVB it's Exo terra Repti Glow 5% UVB, replaced every 4 month (just got replaced a month ago).

Sorry if I worded that wrong, he doesn't eat every day, when he DOES eat he will eat 4-6 insects. At the vets he weighed 130 which the vet was more than happy with. (130 is actually on the small side, but I've had confirmation from breeders on here that it's a perfectly healthy weight).

2in tongue

I have a nosy be who upon arrival would miss intended targets by two inches to the left everytime. he soon got frustrated and would only stick his tongue out about two inches to get food. shortly, he stopped altogether and started to bite his food. from all my reading of books, online , & here, it points to a vitamin A issue. which apparently can be fixed by dripping a little fish oil on some feeders. i don't know if this helps or is even your guys issue. i hope it helps.

I have a nosy be who upon arrival would miss intended targets by two inches to the left everytime. he soon got frustrated and would only stick his tongue out about two inches to get food. shortly, he stopped altogether and started to bite his food. from all my reading of books, online , & here, it points to a vitamin A issue. which apparently can be fixed by dripping a little fish oil on some feeders. i don't know if this helps or is even your guys issue. i hope it helps.

Thanks for your suggestions! That's exactly what he was doing! It's so strange though, he's back to normal today? Was shooting perfectly with his tongue =/ If it happens again I'll definitely try the fish oil, though he's definitely getting the right amount in his supplements. Really confused.

Quick update: Mylo's vet told me that sometimes chams will feed like this when feeling "sorry for themselves". He checked his tongue and took his bloods and all is well. Mylos tongue has worked perfectly minus that one day. So I'm gonna take the vet's word that Mylo was acting strange simply from feeling rubbish

determined

This little guy has been through the wringer, & still defiant. Veils just refuse to give in. I still love his little video, & we all know which one i am referring to. He gives definition to the word 'chronic' or 'habitual'. You take your pick.

Back
Top Bottom