Tongue Problem

Spangoss

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Archimedes - Male Panther. 5-6 months old. In my care for around 2.5 months.
Handling - Rarely handled.
Feeding - Crickets and small locusts almost every day. Occasional silk worms, wax worms and recently had a few dubia roaches. Feeders are given fresh veggies and bug grub.
Supplements - Komodo calcium powder with almost every feed. Komodo Chameleon multivitamin every two weeks.
Watering - Aquazamp misting system with programmed timer. Goes off every 2hrs 45mins for 50 seconds.
Fecal Description - Colours a bright an vivid. Feral matter has always seemed perfect with no odd consistencies and bright white urates.
History - No issues whatsoever thus far.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Exo Terra Glass Terrarium. 60cm x 60cm x 45cm. (New larger version coming next month.)
Lighting - Reptisun LED T5 UVB light fixture with a 5.0% UVB tube. 60W basking bulb.
Temperature - Ambient temperature of around 25 Deg C. Basking temperature around 30 Deg C. Monitored with a digital probe.
Humidity - Humidity ranges from 45% - 60% depending on misting schedule. Monitored with a digital probe.
Plants - All live plants. Ficus, pothos, babies tears and a small orchid and bromeliad
Placement - Located in the living room. No signs of stress due to traffic etc.
Location - UK

Current Problem:

Archimedes seems to have developed an issue with firing his tongue to catch prey. This seems to have happened very suddenly. Otherwise he is in perfect health and is still able to catch locusts and crickets when they are free-roaming throughout his enclosure.

I have read what I can find on this forum and have noticed that many times lack of calcium, UVB and Vitamin B can be causes of this. However, I would expect that these causes would not result in such a sudden change. I would also be surprised and disappointed as I have gone to great lengths to ensure I have every thing he needs!

Is it possible that there is some kind of mechanical trauma that may have caused this? Or should I look to change the current method of UVB and or supplementation?

I was thinking that perhaps a higher level of UVB might be required to power through the mesh. Additionally I was worried that the multivitamin power that I use does not provide enough vitamin B. It does not explicitly state vitamin B on the packaging, but it does mention spiralling and kelp as ingredients which I understand are rich in vitamin B.

Any suggestions or are we talking vet time?

Thanks in advance.

I seem to recall a couple other forum members have has this issue with their chams and I thought it was related to vitamin A.

The vet seems like the best option. The sudden change might indicate something that not just a Vitamin A deficiency. Hope you have good luck with Archimedes.

A sudden loss of tongue use is more than likely some type of injury or trauma. He may have shot at something and missed and it might have got stuck and hyper extended itself. I would give it a week or so and ser if it does not correct itself.

Thanks for your replies. It does seem to be a little better, but no way near here it was a week or so ago.

Carol, it does sound exactly as you described, so fingers crossed he'll be back to normal in a few more days. If not, I'll have to get him looked at.

Here's a recent picture:

IMG_0016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom