Tongue problem, please help.

Entrax

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - How long has it been in your care? 9,5 months old female veiled. Has been in my care for 2,5 months.
  • Handling - Not very often, because he does not like.
  • Feeding -Most of his meal is crickets. I also give him 20-30 superworms, and dubias. His daily diet is 6-10 (depends on what she is eating) crickets + 1 dubia. He is eating from 11;00 to 17;00. I gut load with greens, apples and fruits.
  • Supplements - ExoTerra Calcium without D3, Drago-Vit calcium +D3, TetraFauna ReptoLife minerals. For 1 month i was giving her only Drago-Vit calcium +D3 + ReptoLife on every single cricket (Did not know, i should give her without D3). For 1,5 months the schedule is: On every cricket or dubia calcium without d3 and twice a month Calcium +d3 + vitamins. Am I doing over over supplementation ?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand misting 4-5 times a day, 2-3 times each. Soon i will put automatic misting system. I see her drinking directly from the spray bottle.
  • Fecal Description - Normal, white urates. Never been tested.
  • History - I made some mistakes with her light. I had compact uvb bulb for 2 months. Also the supplements schedule.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, 400mm x 500mm x 1100mm
  • Lighting - ExoTerra UVB 5.0 Repti Glo 15W, Reflector bulb Sylvania 75W for the basking spot. Turns on at 08;30 - turns off at 19;30.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot is 31-32C and at the bottom of the cage is 25C(that's my home temp) Lowest overnight temp is not more than 23-24C. I have thermometer inside the cage.
  • Humidity - Humidity is 45% to 65% max.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 2 live plants - Benjamina and Schefflera.
  • Placement - It's in my living room on a shelf. It's about 1,8m high at his max point. There are no fans, air vents. My wife and kid are in this room whole day.
  • Location - Sofia, Bulgaria.

Current Problem - When i bought her everything was O.K. (I saw her hunting for more than 40cm) After 1 month, she started to miss her crickets. 2 of 5 shots were not in the target. Now she is eating from 2 - 3cm and sometimes is missing too. Some forum members said it is from the compact bulb - i change it before 1 week with linear. Is my supplements schedule correct ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_183707.jpg
    IMG_20190121_183707.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20190121_183644.jpg
    IMG_20190121_183644.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20190121_183635.jpg
    IMG_20190121_183635.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20190121_183620.jpg
    IMG_20190121_183620.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 204
I have T8 linear UVB, also i have lay bin. It is pot Ф300mm , 150mm height with soil. She is going at the bottom only to poop :D I will make it mix soil and sand.

What greens and fruits are you supplementing with exactly? Usually tongue issues are caused by injury or a nutritional deficiency.

Can you take a photo of each supplement label and post here? Im curious to see what is in your D3 calcium and your multi-vitamin.

Being that she is old enough to be developing eggs, a calcium deficiency could be an issue but I would get a vets opinion on this rather than taking my word for it.

I am dusting every single cricket with calcium, how she could have calcium deficiency ? When i bought her, she was eating from tweezers and hit them sometimes. Gut load with , cabbage, apple, mandarinas, cucumbers etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_213640.jpg
    IMG_20190121_213640.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20190121_213632.jpg
    IMG_20190121_213632.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20190121_213622.jpg
    IMG_20190121_213622.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Change your gutloading to what is listed below. Cabbage is not recommended. Females can become calcium deficient due to their bodies using up the calcium for developing eggs rather than for their bones and muscles.

I am still recommending a vet visit so they can diagnose the issue.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

"Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa."

"Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans."

"Avoid These Ingredients

Avoid these gutloading ingredients because they are low in calcium, high in phosphorus, goitrogens or oxalates: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, vertebrates."

Hello guys, i am just comming back from vet. They said i am giving her good care, but the problem could be from 2 options.
1.It could be trauma from tweezers, that can not be removed
2.Calcium deficit while she was younger.

Both cases they can not cure her tongue. I also asked about her eyes - everything is fine. I continue with the schedule - every feeding with caldium without d3.
I asked are there any eggs in her, cause she is 17 months old and has never cluched. The doctor said - no eggs, they could be degraded.
So I post this if you could help me with some advices. The 2nd pic is of her belly. Her weight is 105gr.

Back
Top Bottom