Tongue EMERGENCY please look asap

Takani1

Hello everyone,
my problem is I have a one yr old male veiled Cham who is having bad tongue problems it started about 3 days ago his tongue looked vary swollen and he stopped eating. He started to hangs his head, he opens his mouth like he is choking and shakes his head till his tongue falls out!! Then he shakes it bak in his mouth.. One of the times he didn't bring it bak in and bit down and there was an aweful crunch sound I'd imagine it was the bone breaking:( when I look into his mouth his tongue seems folded with the sticky part folded backward toward his throat!! I don't know wat to do for him iv called all the vets in 3 towns in my area with reptile vets and most aren't taking new patients or are booked I'm afraid he will die by the time they can get me in. He still drinks water but cannot eat.

His care has not changed and iv been told everything is fine,
he is a yr old veiled Cham
he is in a large screen cage
I give calcium every other feeding
repcal cal d3 2 times a month
repcal multivit 2 times a month
all crickets and worms gutloaded with fruits n veggies
reptisun 5.0 bulb
basking light
temp gradient of 85-90 basking spot to about 65-70 at bottom of cage
I mist at least 1 time a day because of the cold but generously and he has a dripper

he looks perfectly healthy iv had him since he was 2-3 months old and have not had one problem with him untill now

If anyone could give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated he is vary important to me and is one of my two veiled chams I have a female too who is 2 yes and doing amazing I don't know wat I did differently that he would have this problem:(

Hello everyone,
my problem is I have a one yr old male veiled Cham who is having bad tongue problems it started about 3 days ago his tongue looked vary swollen and he stopped eating. He started to hangs his head, he opens his mouth like he is choking and shakes his head till his tongue falls out!! Then he shakes it bak in his mouth.. One of the times he didn't bring it bak in and bit down and there was an aweful crunch sound I'd imagine it was the bone breaking:( when I look into his mouth his tongue seems folded with the sticky part folded backward toward his throat!! I don't know wat to do for him iv called all the vets in 3 towns in my area with reptile vets and most aren't taking new patients or are booked I'm afraid he will die by the time they can get me in. He still drinks water but cannot eat.

His care has not changed and iv been told everything is fine,
he is a yr old veiled Cham
he is in a large screen cage
I give calcium every other feeding
repcal cal d3 2 times a month
repcal multivit 2 times a month
all crickets and worms gutloaded with fruits n veggies
reptisun 5.0 bulb
basking light
temp gradient of 85-90 basking spot to about 65-70 at bottom of cage
I mist at least 1 time a day because of the cold but generously and he has a dripper

he looks perfectly healthy iv had him since he was 2-3 months old and have not had one problem with him untill now

If anyone could give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated he is vary important to me and is one of my two veiled chams I have a female too who is 2 yes and doing amazing I don't know wat I did differently that he would have this problem:(

Oh poor thing :(

I'm not great with advice, I really really hope one of the vets can step in soon.

Others have had the same issue and really the thing they can do is just get a vet to amputate it. Once it's swollen/infected and bitten on like that I believe there is no hope for the tongue.

I hope someone can give you a method to help you for now until someone can either "fix" it or just to keep the cham ok.

You will probably have to cater to him without a tongue, just prepping you for that :(

Thank you for your reply, I'm prepared to do watever it takes to keep him alive and healthy:) I figured it would have to be amputated but I was really hoping that was not the case:( is there anything I could get or do to make him eat, if I had to force feed I will noone can get him in for a month or longer and I hate to do it, even being sick he is so sweet,and still walks right onto my hand with no food or anything . I had posted before my work on socializing them and took great pride in them being so friendly and walking onto my hand I know that will end if I have to force him:(

Until you can get an appointment with a vet, try blending or mushing up some fruits, veggies, and insects to ensure that he is still getting vitamins and calories. Chams can still live fine without their tongue, they will just require some additional care while they relearn how to hunt and catch food.

His tongue needs to come off ASAP if it is swollen, being bitten on, and almost being swallowed. A month is too long, you need to see an emergency vet. Once the tongue is off, he will likely need antibiotics. After a few days of healing he can start eating normally again, though you will likely need to hand feed him (probably for the rest of his life, unless he can learn to eat like a ground lizard.) I have a veiled without a tongue, and he does just fine.

The only emergency vet around here has no reptile vet it's only cats and dogs but I will keep trying and do my best

good news!!

So I am happy to say the Richter's tongue is better!!! I didn't have to get it amputated!! He is eating on his own! and shooting his tongue, its not swollen anymore and is normal color, its not falling out of his mouth anymore!! we didn't end up going to the vet, no one had open appointments. I kept up his care and made him a huge dish he could get into and catch them so he did and his tongue just started to get better on his own!! YAY!! I will post pics of him later I have some of him shooting his tongue:) thanks to u who gave me advice!!

That's awesome! I started reading this thread not realizing it was from a month ago. I was really worried for your little guy! I'm glad to see that he got better (and that I don't have to wait a month to find out what happened. Lol) I'm sure you and your fella are relieved :D

I'm so glad that he is doing better. Its appalling to me that you could not get an emergency appointment. Its just sad that none of these specialty vets leave a little time to spare...I know their time is valuable, but seriously I bet most reptile visits are from sick animals rather that well checkups...

here he is!! shooting his tongue!!!

Attachments

• DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00324.jpg
    DSC00324.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC00328.jpg
    DSC00328.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 157
What a nice looking veiled.
He probably had some food stuck near the elastic part of his tongue and it would not reset properly..

Love to hear success stories.

Great job!

Back
Top Bottom